Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chasin' Hogs

doublej

I see Ohio is lucky enough to only have a few areas with these suckers... Ya'll be really lucky if ya'll had 0 haha
Seen the list for public lands that may have them and was thinking about giving it a shot.
I'm from Louisiana and have family property with tons of hogs (anyone interested in a LA swamp hog hunt swap for an Ohio deer hunt, message me may be able to make something happen)
Anyone I was thinking about going after them up here, I know they are few and far between but I seem to be a hog magnet and enjoy chasing them.
Few questions on legal methods (And yes I will ask the officials sending an email shortly so that I have a written answer, just seeing if anyone has experience with any of it and they usually take a few days to respond)

Rules state:Feral swine may be hunted over bait. However, it shall be unlawful for any person to distribute, place or scatter salt, grain or other feed capable of luring, enticing or attracting birds on lands owned, controlled or maintained by the Ohio Division of Wildlife, including those lands managed by the division by virtue of a lease or an agreement.

I read this as I can use bait as long as it isn't something birds would eat? I know a few things...used cooking oil, jello powder mixed in the mud, etc.

Then weapons would be my other question.. On public lands back home you can only use whatever weapon is legal for current game in season (Private land you can use just about anything and hunt them at night). I'm assuming it's the same here? Couldn't find a clear answer...
For example if it's bow season and squirrel is open then weapon options: bow, xbow, 22 lr, 22 mag, 17 HMR, shotgun with legal small game loads...

And this probably a stretch but if anyone has hogs on private and wants some help strictly killing pigs only... hollar at me

Put a few pics of some I killed..wish I had pics of the first one I killed on my computer he was a good'un..I really should have got a shoulder mount

Attachments

• 559243_4522849522236_1700706134_n.jpg
    559243_4522849522236_1700706134_n.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 158
  • lilboar.jpg
    lilboar.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 170
  • photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    171 KB · Views: 179
In ohio you can hunt them with anything you want centerfire rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzleloader, or bow. You can also used dogs. As well as hunt at night. The only exception is deer gun season them you cant hunt at night, use dogs or weapons not legal during deer gun season. This goes for privite or public land.

ult-preditor

Always check with the forest service or ODNR before going into the public lands. Some of them have special restrictions that may or may not be posted online. Pig hunting is pretty much unrestricted for the most part though outside deer gun, deer youth gun, and deer muzzleloader seasons.