Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New hunter with questions.

Jason O

I live in Akron and have been hunting Deer Creek in Portage County. Does anyone have any experience with this place. I have been there eight times and have seen only one deer. Have all the deer by this time been taken in little parks like Deer Creek and West Branch ect.. It seems that most hunters prefer to go to southern Ohio. Also I see that Portage County is a three deer county, which leads me to to believe that there is a large deer population. Correct me if I'm wrong. So does that mean there are less people hunting in P.C. or just less places to hunt.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
There is no large deer population LOL. 75-80% of the state are 3 deer counties. I don't know anything about portage county though. But I'd be looking for some private land, at least for next year.

Jason O

Sorry had that wrong. Portage is one of fourteen county's that has a 4 deer total bad limit. I go about as deep as you can go at Deer Creek. But no knowing a lot about hunting I might not be hunting the best spots.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Gotta find the sign. Random sets of tracks are fine but what you need are the places where they are coming through regulary. The snow will help to find the trails they use a lot. Look for creek crossings, funnels (a place where the deer have to use a certain trail because of terrain features, downed trees, thick brush....) also look for trails in and out of bedding areas.

It isn't easy to get within 20 yards of them, but they are there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You're hunting highly pressured ground in a state with a rapidly dwindling deer herd. I hate to be a pessimist, but one might say you should be happy you even saw one.

Deer Creek is not a very big tract of land. Berlin would be my first choice for public land in Portage county. But if I were you I'd head south to Stark, Columbiana or Carroll county and seek out some private land. Those three counties have quite a few farms that one may get permission on.