Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 youth gun season

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i figured id start this to see what anyone is doing for the youth gun season, i know alot of you have already taken kids out with bow, but whos going? im pretty excited im taking my nephew hes never been before but i had him out shooting the muzzy with 50 grains of powder and he did really well, ive got a blind set up with a heater in it and a nice shooting bench. hes more into video games but he showed an interest and asked if he could go with me sometime so i couldnt turn him down. the bad thing is im having wisdom teeth pulled friday morning and just hope im not to sore too get him out

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I might take out the neighbor kid. He has asked me a couple of times to take him. He is 16 and has only been on deer drives twice and he wasn't a shooter. His parents don't hunt but he seems interested. My problem is the land owner doesn't allow me to bring extra hunters. So I don't know where to hunt with him. Thought about going to local public land and trying his luck but I havnt scouted or anything.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I might take out the neighbor kid. He has asked me a couple of times to take him. He is 16 and has only been on deer drives twice and he wasn't a shooter. His parents don't hunt but he seems interested. My problem is the land owner doesn't allow me to bring extra hunters. So I don't know where to hunt with him. Thought about going to local public land and trying his luck but I havnt scouted or anything.

Maybe the landowner will make a one time exception for a kid who's never hunted before.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is the only year in 7 yrs. I won't be taking my 2 grandsons Youth Hunting. They both got 2 deer each with me.
This is the 1st year in 7 yrs. that my son doesn't have a gunshow to set up at. So he's taking the youngest grandson hunting. He's 16 and the other grandson is 18 so my glory years are over.
I'm getting my Ruger auto rifle in 44 mag. ready for him. The damn Redfield scope is cloudy after 25 yrs. So putting a Leopold 2x7 compact scope on it. But in the cold in snow! But that's what grandpas are for.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If we don't luck into one before, I'll have Mason out all weekend. We shot the muzzleloader this past weekend out to 150yds and all is ready. If he misses, it won't be the gun's fault.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Talked to the land owner and he's allowing the one time deal for me to take out a neighbor kid on Sat. Hopefully I can put him on some deer and let him experience hunting first hand.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The landowner sounds like a good guy. I'm sure you already thought of it but I would recommend the kid write a handwritten thank you note and give it to the landowner. The note should explain how thankful the kid is and will go a long way to be welcome back. Just a thought.

Talked to the land owner and he's allowing the one time deal for me to take out a neighbor kid on Sat. Hopefully I can put him on some deer and let him experience hunting first hand.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I'll be taking my 12 year old brother out Saturday morning. Hitting up a nice fresh spot I hunted 1 time this season. Hopes are high for him, they should get close enough for a shot if they're movin

lung buster

hocking county
Taking my daughter Addison. Andrew has had all of bow season so its his sisters turn. Sunday looks like it may be a wash and sat am is gonna be cold for kids but we will be out.