Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Black Widow Season

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have always wanted to hunt with a recurve but just never really had the time it took to be proficient with one, that all changed this year when I decided it was time and I ordered a bow from Black Widow Bows.I finally received it in June and spent the whole summer shooting almost every day as my wife Lisa can back up as she was my arrow puller whenever I shot out of the barnloft or treestand behind the barn, after thousands of shots I really started to feel confident shooting it.
Well soon we were on the eve of bow season and I had not been that excited for the first day in years, my goal was to try and shoot a big doe but realized going in it might take several attempts before I connect.As daybreak approached I had a feeling of being underbowed with the stick bows distance limitations but knew this was the challenge I was looking for, soon I had 4 bucks walk by but passed on them, shortly after a big doe came down the trail and stopped at 18 yds, I took my time, anchored, picked a spot behind her shoulder and let the string loose, the arrow was on it's way and I was a little surprised when she ran off with my arrow behind her shoulder,she ran about 35 yds, stopped, looked back and fell over.
Let me tell you it's been a long time since I remember being that excited about shooting any deer, first thing I did was call Lisa to tell her and she was excited for me as she knew how much time I had put into shooting my new bow, the Magnus Stinger 4 blade broadhead left one heck of a bloodtrail not that I needed it.View attachment 26168
I made it out a few times after only hunting evenings passing on several deer a few nice bucks included, going in I told my friends I was not going to hold out for one of the bigger bucks on the farm but that I would be happy with an older respectable buck and if one of the bigger ones came by that would be fine also.Even at the Strouds outing Jesse and I talked about this and after passing on one big old 6 pt he ragged me a little about that.View attachment 26174This is the big 6 I passed.
I have always liked October 20th as kind of my start date to getting serious about my buck hunting as it seems some bigger bucks are starting to move earlier in the evenings, this evening I was in a stand I call the point stand as it is a strip of trees and brush that sticks out of a thicket with a picked corn field to my east and a huge CRP field to my west that deer love to bed in, one reason I love this spot is my access in and out enables me to do it with minimal intrusion.

I was planning on this evening being an observation night as I can see a lot of area from this stand but also knew from past years it could produce a nice buck, at 5:30 I had several does come through and feed on acorns also a nice looking 2 yr old came by, at 5:50 I looked to the southwest and saw a buck I recognized from trailcam pics I had named Flare as he has a point that flares outward off his right beam.He steps out of the Crp Field at 35 yds but had to wait until he was in my recurve range which I prefer 25 yds or less, he circled behind me and got downwind but thanks to Brock and his Scent Smoker he never winded me.I finally drew my bow and shot when he was around 26 yds but was disappointed to see my arrow go too far forward and through his leg and brisket, my friend Kevin came and we tracked him a ways until a heavy thunderstorm rolled in and we lost blood.The next day Kevin and Dave another friend came over and helped me look but had no luck, I even walked a standing cornfield later that day just in case but no luck, I was pretty sure he would survive but to say I felt sick would be an understatement and I realized then that shooting a recurve will humble you very quickly.On a good note I have since gotten several pics of flare and he seems fine.
Pics of flare.View attachment 26178View attachment 26179
On October 29th I was back in the point stand to spend an evening, at 5pm I had 3 does come by and shortly after a nice looking young buck, finally at 5:50 I looked to the west and saw a nice buck step out of the Crp field at 120 yds and stop and look around.I was hoping he would come my way, after what seemed like an eternity he finally started my direction rubbing a few saplings along the way.
He was taking his time as I watched him for a couple minutes through my binoculars and realized he had a nice heavy rack and his body looked huge as he slumbered along, he walked like he had arthritis.
After watching him work my way I knew I might get my chance to redeem myself after wounding Flare on the 20th so my mind switched to kill mode as I knew he was an old mature buck that I would attempt to shoot if given the chance.He finally was standing facing me at 30 yds as I stood with my bow waiting for him to get in my comfort zone, I drew my bow back 3 different times but had to let up as he would keep moving around.Finally he walked about 10 yds to my left and offered me a shot at 22yds, I drew my bow, anchored and made sure to pick a spot.

After the release I saw my arrow hit him right behind his left shoulder the funny thing I have noticed is the deer never seem to react to the shot until the arrow hits them as the recurve is very quiet.After the hit he trotted back the way he came from for about 60 yds then cut into the wind to the north inside the woods, man was I excited as I could see my arrow sticking part way out his right side close to his heart area.I waited a short time, climbed down, walked a short ways, found blood, marked it and backed out.
I called Kevin and Dave and they said they would be heading my way shortly, while waiting I talked to Don and he started the IKS thread, when my buddy's arrived we got our flashlights and headed back to start tracking, we srarted where I marked the first blood I found and followed it into the woods, pretty soon we were following one of the best bloodtrails I have ever seen and being colored blind that says alot.lol
We were all pretty excited thinking we would find him but I was still nervous after not getting Flare back on the 20th, after about 30 yds in the woods we found my blood soaked arrow and the blood was really pumping out then, like I said those Magnus Stingers are one nasty broadhead when you put them in the boiler room.
After finding the arrow we did not go more than 10 yds when Kevin got that look and said, I see something, from that point on it was all smiles and excitement as I had my first ever recurve buck.He ended up being a huge old 8 point buck with lots of mass and was all the 3 of us could handle just loading him up.

Once we had him hanging in the barn you could really tell what an old warrior he was, his hooves were all wore down and broken up, we never weighed him but I shot a buck several yrs ago that dressed 225 pds and this one dwarfed him.I thought I had pictures of this buck but after going through them realized I dont but I have seen this buck a few times over the years on the farm and almost got a shot at him in 2011 when I figured then he was around 5 yrs old just from history with him and was still an 8 point but quite larger around 155 inches.He was going downhill and his right beam always had that curve to it that's how I recognized him, it still amazes me how some of these older bucks never get their picture taken.Overall I am overjoyed at being lucky enough to take such an old buck and he is not my biggest buck I have ever taken but will be the one i will cherish the most. uploadfromtaptalk1416241908692.jpguploadfromtaptalk1416241926309.jpguploadfromtaptalk1416241965266.jpguploadfromtaptalk1416242033962.jpg
In closing I would like to say this recurve hunting is a real challenge but at the same time very exciting and fun, I would also like to thank everyone on TOO for always being supportive,it is a great place to hang out.A big thanks to Kevin and Dave for helping me recover him good friends are hard to come by.Also a special thanks to Milo and Taylor for all of their advice and guidance as it really helped me along this new journey in my hunting career.And yes Taylor I picked a spot.lol
And a really special thanks to my wife Lisa for always encouraging me to have fun and enjoy my time out there and pulling all those arrows this past summer, she truly gets it and understands.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great story Brian! That was a hell of an accomplishment. You definitely put in the work and it was cool seeing you reap the rewards. Congrats on a dream season!

Diablo54

Outside
Congratulations again! Awesome deer. Aren't you glad you picked a spot?? Lol. One question...do you think you will ever go back to a compound? I think I know the answer but just asking. Haha

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations again! Awesome deer. Aren't you glad you picked a spot?? Lol. One question...do you think you will ever go back to a compound? I think I know the answer but just asking. Haha
Yea give me a second to answer that Tay.Uh no.Lol. Actually I feel very blessed to have been able to accomplish what I did in my first season with the recurve.
As you and I talked about at Strouds it is a pretty cool experience and tough to boot having to get them in that close and knowing you might have to let a giant walk at 30 or 40 yards.Now I do still have one tag left if I can find me a big old doe.Good luck Tay i am waiting for that text that says you got one down.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That's a great season wrap. You have the base now to create great new memories. You also have the foundation to back to level when things go a little downhill. Great job bud

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations again, Brian. You had one heck of a great season. It's great to see all the work and preparation paid off for you. Well done!