Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A Photo Tribute To Splitter

I decided to post a final photographic tribute to the deer I named Splitter in 2011. I have hundreds of trail camera photos of him I've kept the last few years. I tried to do this in one post, but had to many photos to upload. So I did it year by year.

Splitter made his first appearance on camera on May 22, 2011. Little did I know at that time the impact he would have on my hunting. The photo on May 27 proved he was smart. He knew that camera didn't belong there. By mid September he had shed his velvet and was a good 11 pointer with a split brow on his right side. I knew he was my target deer for the 2011 season. I caught him traveling my creek bottom on Nov. 9 that fall. The season ended with me never seeing him face to face.

2011tc128.jpg 2011tc143.jpg BTC009.jpg BTC019.jpg

Last edited:
The sping of 2012 rolls around and I was anxious to see if he shows up at my Trophy Rock. He had me a little worried that spring. He didn't arrive on the scene until June 3, later than in 2011. His split left ear made him unmistakeable. By mid July he was looking good. Seemed he had put on some good mass this year. I knew again what deer I would pursue that fall. I got one more photo of him on July 17 and then he seemed to vanish. After hunting him all fall I was fairly well convinced he was gone forever.PICT5797.jpg PICT6137.jpg PICT6446.jpg

Last edited:
A Photo Tribute To Splitter 2013

But, I pulled a card in May of 2013, a few days after I had built the infamous "barricade" and I had a glimmer of hope. I wasn't positive, but I was pretty sure this was Splitter. To my dismay he didn't show up for a couple more months that year. But, when he did I knew it was him. I was pumped knowing he was around for another season. On October 22 he gave me a great look at his left antler and I was amazed. The weather we had after November that year was just to cold for me to hunt in. So no late season hunting and all I could do was hope he survived.

PICT0280.jpg PICT1616.jpg rsz_pict5242.jpg

A Photo Tribute To Splitter 2014

I put out cameras in April of 2014 hoping to see him. He didn't make me wait this year. He showed up on May 19 and I noticed that he now had splits in both ears. I'd known for a couple years that he was the dominant buck in my area, but he was evidently being challenged by other bucks. By mid July he was well on his way to sporting another great rack. I couldn't wait to play cat and mouse with him again in October. My camera went haywire on the dates, but sometime in the first week of August I had him visit my Trophy Rock. He again was looking prime. On November 7 he moved through my creek bottom in the afternoon. This was the first photo I had since early August. I made up my mind to hunt my creek bottom stand the next couple times I hunted. Splitters last photo was taken at 3:00 PM on Nov. 11. In this photo you can see the white lettering on my crossbow limb in the stand as I readied for the shot.

HUNT0983.jpg HUNT0250.jpg HUNT0014.jpg SUNP0246.jpg SUNP0123.jpg

I am proud to have taken this deer in a 100% fair chase hunt on my own small piece of property. Having my wife, that stood by me through this obsession, there to see the raw emotion I showed that day is priceless to me. I have mixed emotions still today though. My wife and I will truely miss this deer we called Splitter. Sitting in front of the computer screen together to check camera cards will never be the same. I hope I did justice to such a magnificent animal.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great stuff Dick! This is why I love cams. I've tried for a decade to do what you have done here and maybe some day, I'll know the joy of seeing it all come together. Very cool tribute! Memories that will last forever!!!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
You did him justice Dick. He was a tough one to hunt and you of all people deserve the privilege if taking this fine animal. You'll treasure your memories for the rest of your life and thanks again for sharing your tribute for "Splitter".

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
:smiley_clap::smiley_clap::smiley_clap:

STANDING O FOR YOU,YOUR WIFE AND SPLITTER!!!!

Great tribute Dick and I know exactly how you feel in the slight remorse dept! Congrats again buddy!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You did him justice Dick. He was a tough one to hunt and you of all people deserve the privilege if taking this fine animal. You'll treasure your memories for the rest of your life and thanks again for sharing your tribute for "Splitter".

What he said! Excellent photos!
100% fair chase, on your own property!
Well done.