Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Processing Book

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've cut up a few deer in my time, but was more of the grunt labor than the skilled knife. We usually just removed the loins and straps, then ground the rest. I have very little experience with cutting steaks and making the most of the roasts. I'm slowly but surely getting equipped to process my own deer (on occasion) and was looking for a quality book to guide me through the process.

All suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I don't know if you have a tech school down that way but our high school tech has a meat processing class. They offer classes to anybody that's interested in processing deer and they even supply the deer for the class.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse have you tried looking on YouTube for videos on the process?

Yes. But I'm a little old school with my learning believe it or not. I want something tangible for this. YouTube is a great resource on just about anything and this is no different. Just like the idea of grabbing the book and having it right there in front of me.

jeremy44230

Medina County
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416006569.459678.jpg

Jesse, shoot me your address. I'll send this to you for your use.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I think it would be very rewarding to process my own, but it's not in the cards right now.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I do my own, it's not very hard at all.
I don't have any books but there are lots of dad's out there. I just loaned mine out but you are welcome to it when I get it back.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I do my own, look forward to it each time.
And each time I have to go back and learn it again.
And each time I'm getting a little better.

This last one I needed a youtube refresher - went thru a few but then I found McClendon Meats channel
[video=youtube;YMx0JMOv5WI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMx0JMOv5WI&list=PLb60_e4f98KzTWzXiW5BvfHa3Qgu1GWsG[/video]

I used the one on how to cut up the front loin and it helped alot

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
It is expensive to get started, but is very rewarding to do your own. Plus specialties like stew chunks, patties and cube steaks can be done to your liking.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I do a couple each year. One year decided to save my parents money and cut a deer up my brother got in the process I cut my hand with a meat cleaver. Ended up costing me about 5 grand in doctor bills so i could use my thumb again.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like to shoot a doe or two when it is cold and let them hang. The goal is to start cutting these deer up on my own. I started to order a vacuum sealer back in March and actually backed out at the last minute. That changed tonight. Cabelas has their grinders on sale and I am considering pulling the trigger on the 1/2 hp with foot peddle.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I do my own, look forward to it each time.
And each time I have to go back and learn it again.
And each time I'm getting a little better.

This last one I needed a youtube refresher - went thru a few but then I found McClendon Meats channel
[video=youtube;YMx0JMOv5WI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMx0JMOv5WI&list=PLb60_e4f98KzTWzXiW5BvfHa3Qgu1GWsG[/video]

I used the one on how to cut up the front loin and it helped alot
Same here Dan. Done four deer so far. The next step I want to learn is to make my own sausages.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I think I've done around 15-20 by now. I'll usually assist in my father or brother in laws deer too.

Lots of work, about 4-5 hours on typical doe. The big bucks run about 8-9 hours.

Not only does the meat taste better, it is gratifying to me. I cut steaks, roasts and grind some. I make my own jerky and this year I'll begin making sausage, bologna and snack sticks.

Once I did one, I never used a butcher again.