Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lease advice

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im thinking about looking into a lease next year. Does anyone have any pointers or contacts for that matter? Ill be doing some research over the next few days. Let me know if you guys can help. Thanks.

Dustin

Strother23

Columbus, OH
You have to decide where and how many acres.or if others are going in on the same lease. You also have to think about if you sign a lease. You want to be allowed to put up feeders,bait piles,mineral sites,cut brush or tress when you need, or even ride 4 wheelers to recover deer. Or even think about a multi year agreement for a possible better price.
Best of luck

teej89

NE PA
I'm with you guys, a couple buddies and I are trying to go in on a nice piece for next year. Not sure how many pointers I can give ya but I know you can always look on basecampleasing.com or hightechredneck.com for leases. Not sure where else to check...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My advice. Get on your county GIS and look for properties and landowners. Pick out 20 solid properties and go knock on their door to ask permission. Ask if they have other people hunting. When you're done see what you end up with. If you still want to lease pick one of those properties that said no and go see if you can't get them to agree on a lease. Before leasing however walk the property and look for sign of other hunters. Trespassers and buck sign. Go talk to every surrounding landowner too see if they allow hunting. It's not going to do you a bit of good to lease next door to the Yoders. What you're looking for is that one property surrounded by properties that don't allow hunting. And I'm talking about those landowners that run you off and get mad for even asking. Those are the neighboring properties you want next to your lease. You don't need 300 acres. Just the right 30 surrounded by the right 300. It'll crate a sanctuary for unpressured deer and you can draw them through.

Another option is to go to your county auditors office and get a list of properties with unpaid taxes or liens against them. This might be an easy way for you to pick up a lease cheap as they obviously could use the money.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Thanks for the advice. Especially about the unpaid taxes and liens. Ill get started on this right away. Want to be able to get this going early 2015.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks for the advice. Especially about the unpaid taxes and liens. Ill get started on this right away. Want to be able to get this going early 2015.

Word of caution. Don't mention you got their name off the lien or tax list. People don't take to kindly about their business being snooped even if it is public knowledge.