Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Tech Advice

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Whenever I need info, I search the internet, but when it's IMPORTANT, I turn to my TOO brothers for advice -

Here's the deal - I just had to move my mom into longterm care (nursing home) where she'll be sharing a room with a roommate.
Mom can have her own TV, with cable. I want to get her a flatscreen TV with Wireless Headphones that she can use to listen to the tv as loud or soft as she pleases, without bothering her roommate. The added benefit is that she'll be able to listen to whatever she wants to and won't have to listen to her roomie's TV. Hell, if it's cheap enough, I might even get a set for her roomie.

Thing is - I got NO idea what to get. All I know is what I want:
Wireless.
Comfortable.
Compatible with a TV that has USB and HDMI ports.
Sound that comes thru the headset but not thru the regular speakers.
Volume to be controlled by TV/Cable remote, not a separate control.
Want a good brand, like Bose or something. $$$ is not an issue for this item.

Anyone with experience please advise with links or descriptions or even tell me exactly what to ask for.
Normally I'd take my time researching, but I need to make this happen for her quickly.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Whenever I need info, I search the internet, but when it's IMPORTANT, I turn to my TOO brothers for advice -

Here's the deal - I just had to move my mom into longterm care (nursing home) where she'll be sharing a room with a roommate.
Mom can have her own TV, with cable. I want to get her a flatscreen TV with Wireless Headphones that she can use to listen to the tv as loud or soft as she pleases, without bothering her roommate. The added benefit is that she'll be able to listen to whatever she wants to and won't have to listen to her roomie's TV. Hell, if it's cheap enough, I might even get a set for her roomie.

Thing is - I got NO idea what to get. All I know is what I want:
Wireless.
Comfortable.
Compatible with a TV that has USB and HDMI ports.
Sound that comes thru the headset but not thru the regular speakers.
Volume to be controlled by TV/Cable remote, not a separate control.
Want a good brand, like Bose or something. $$$ is not an issue for this item.

Anyone with experience please advise with links or descriptions or even tell me exactly what to ask for.
Normally I'd take my time researching, but I need to make this happen for her quickly.

Wish I could help you brother but I'm dumb when it comes to TVs. The easiest thing to do would be to go to best buy and let them give you the rundown. Price their options on amazon to make sure on the price and if it's lower they'll match it. As much as I hated best buy their pricing has came a long way from a few years ago. They had to adapt or die and get very competitive with the online retailers.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Dan,

One thing to think about is the frequency in which they operate on. Most will transmit on the 2.4GHz band, along with microwaves, TV remotes, Cordless phones, Bluetooth, Wifi, etc.

If they offer them on a non-2.4GHz band, I would go that route. Wireless devices can be real finicky, especially sound and video when there is a lot of interference.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Wish I could help you brother but I'm dumb when it comes to TVs. The easiest thing to do would be to go to best buy and let them give you the rundown. Price their options on amazon to make sure on the price and if it's lower they'll match it. As much as I hated best buy their pricing has came a long way from a few years ago. They had to adapt or die and get very competitive with the online retailers.

This is probably your best route. A quick Internet search shows a ton of different makes and models with a shit ton of different features.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This is probably your best route. A quick Internet search shows a ton of different makes and models with a shit ton of different features.

And therein lies the rub...sorting thru the endless options.

And yeah Joe, I wanted to avoid Best Buy, but it seems like they have become a necessary evil.....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Let me know what wireless sound receiver you find to hook up to a TV. I need one because of my lose of hearing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I suggest an around the ear headphone for comfort. It is hard to beat Bose for sound, but their around the ear version offers features she won't need or is at twice the cost.

I place a lot of stock in Amazon reviews as it is easy to sort the good from the bad IMO. The Seenheiser R170s clean house on Amazon. They should be comfortable, charge easily and have technology that prevent them with interfering, or being interfered with, other technologies.

Sony would be another brand to consider, but you'll quickly be overwhelmed by their variety.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Whatever you get, make sure you put her name on it. Some of those residents will meander into other rooms & take things. When my mom was still alive & in one of the places, she made an attempt to take a staff members car. She was placed in the lock down unit afterwards...Seems funny now.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Are you looking for a tv, the headphones, or both?

Bose typically has well educated salesman. The last few salesmen I've talked to at Best Buy haven't been awful.

I recommend TigerDirect if you're buying online - or Amazon.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Crazy as it sounds, Sam's Club has a good selection of TV's and such. Wish I had some good techy input to offer but I am not that guy. Still using the hand me down big screen projection TV my neighbor gave me for helping him haul and set up his flat screen 3-5yrs ago. Last time I was at Sam's club though, I was impressed with the number of wireless surround systems, etc. They might have similar headphones. You won't find an educated sales person there most likely though.

epe

Lancaster
I second Sam's club. They are starting to run specials, and their return policy is second to none. You can compare them side to side. And like Jesse, when I am looking for something I check out Amazon reviews.