Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Bark Collars

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm about to knock the shit clean out of my dog. His eyes are going and he barks ALL the time now when it is dark outside. Since we made him an outside dog after we had the kid, I put in a dog door to the garage so he can come and go. I've had to get up at 2-3AM several times to shut him in just to shut him up! Time for a no bark collar.

Looking for suggestions and/or experiences with them. I'd rather not shell out $100, but I want a quality collar too.

Thanks for the help.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You get what you pay for, especially with e-collars and bark collars. I really don't know what else you can do at this point. Timing is everything, and with him being outside (not usually within your immediate reach) a collar is going to be the most effective correction I believe. Don't sweat spending a little extra... I highly doubt this will be your last dog. You'll get your money's worth out of it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh... Lion Country Supply or Gun Dog Supply for your shopping.

I can vouch for gundogsuply as well.... They make an collar that lights them up whenever they try too open up..... Like Jim said, don't skimp on this collar you'll regret it in the long run....

Jesse, what's the reason for the poor eyesight???? I didn't think remi was that old.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He is 7.5 and his eyes have never been that good. When we got him, I was told chocolate labs were prone to eye, ear and/or skin issues. He has never seen movement the way I thought he should and 2 years ago I noticed he had trouble seeing at night. Now he is to the point he would be considered legally blind if he were a human. The vet said she thought his lenses had moved. The consult with a veterinary optometrist was a 4 hour drive, $500 just confirm and surgery could be in excess of $4K. We don't have that kind of money to put in a dog that has lived out 75% of his life. I love him, but I've had dogs my whole life and shit happens to them, then they die. Just part of the process. He'll live out his life in comfort and when it looks like his eyes are gone to the point of making his life not worth living, I'll put him down.

One thing about him though, his nose is incredible. I came home Friday and there were some doves in the pines out back. I busted one while he was in the garage. He comes flying out of the garage when the gun went off and starts working a Z pattern all over the yard. A good gust of wind kicked the scent his way and he was on that bird in short order. He may not be able to see, but his nose more than makes up for it when it comes to retrieves.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I have a 2 collar system it's a Petsafe 1000 model. It's a shock collar controlled by a remote. I give a them a warning beep and if the don't listen or correct what they are doing wrong then they get a shock. Has shock settings 1-10 I have mine set to 3. Seems to be durable and I've had them about 3yrs now. Dogs listen great but they know when the collars are on/off. Good luck. Barking all the time is horrible