Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shot placement

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Take a look at these pics . Obviously this deer required a follow up shot . In one pic you can see the exit hole . In the other you can see the entrance back of the ribs behind the fol low up shot .

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Deer was shot with a slick trick mag . Post your thoughts . This ain't rocket science either . Just thought some may find it interesting and educational

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
No , treestand...Deer was only 15-20 ft in elevation below the Hunter and 15-20 yds away . Although it may be tough in that picture to tell entrance hole was middle of the body as far as elevation

Kaiser878

ohio
I've always said a high lung is the quickest killing shot on a deer. Bit I would have thought the original shot would have produced a dead deer relatively quickly

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Looks very similar to entrance/exit with the doe I killed last weekend. If you're thinking maybe the exit should have been steeper- maybe the ribs deflected the arriw some. Dead is dead tho and that's good.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess I don't know what your asking here... But if you are just curious as to what we/I think happened with the first arrow, I'd suspect it passed UNDER the lungs and behind the heart, resulting in a blood trail consisting of drops the size of a quarter all the way to the bedded buck...then someone shot him again.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I guess I don't know what your asking here... But if you are just curious as to what we/I think happened with the first arrow, I'd suspect it passed UNDER the lungs and behind the heart, resulting in a blood trail consisting of drops the size of a quarter all the way to the bedded buck...then someone shot him again.

I'm with Brock. Just under the back half of the lungs and popped out in front of the heart missing all the vitals but leaving a decent blood trail.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Strange angle for sure. Looks like the arrow went in behind the lungs and even though it was angling forward, still exited behind the lungs and heart. From behind, the lungs look like a butterfly and have an angle to them. They're farther back at the top, and closer to the front of the deer near the bottom. I bet that arrow missed them both on the high and low side. I'm certain he got liver though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Liver shot is what I see. Possibly snagged a lung lightly. Dead deer with or without follow up shot. Probably would have died from loss of blood from the exit hole being low. Just my guess.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Strange angle for sure. Looks like the arrow went in behind the lungs and even though it was angling forward, still exited behind the lungs and heart. From behind, the lungs look like a butterfly and have an angle to them. They're farther back at the top, and closer to the front of the deer near the bottom. I bet that arrow missed them both on the high and low side. I'm certain he got liver though.
Yep. Still should have been a dead deer IMO and I'm sure it would have been even without the follow up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Ditto, had the intial shot been 3-5" higher it would have been a faster outcome, IMO.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Ya'll make good points . I was kinda vague earlier just cause I wanted people's unbiased opinion. This was the buck I killed the 3rd . And yes , I absolutely could have hit him better , but I didn't feel like it was piss poor either . Anyways I'll tell the story .
I'd seen a bunch of deer already and at 930 I heard a noise and here he came . I barely had time to grab my bow and hook up and there he was . I drew and on cue he stopped to work a scrape . There were a couple poison ivy vines in the way so I had to break my knees and lower myself to make the shot . At the shot he ran 30 yds and stopped. I could see the entrance hole as he stood there 40 yds away and also see blood draining out of the exit hole . He very slowly walked 10 yds and then I lost sight of him when he dropped into a brushy bowl . He never came out .
I could see my arrow from the tree , and also a pretty good blood trail 50 yds away where I lost sight of him . I stayed in the tree a hr . The wind picked up and I felt confident I could climb down and slip out quietly. I retrieved my arrow and it was covered in dark blood with no fowl smell . The blood trail began at point of impact so i felt good . I planned to give him time .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
4 hrs after I shot him i picked up the trail . I slowly trailed the profuse blood trail into the bowl and soon spied a rack sticking up in anext to a log . I was convinced he was dead so i only gave him a quick glance . I waved my buddy up as I stood and admired him . I started to approach him and suddenly we realized he was alive and tryin to hide . I'm standing 6-7 yds from him and come to full draw . I'm tryin to make the best shot I can for the angle and shift myself a half a step left ...Suddenly the deer erupts out of his bed . Now , I'll be the first to admit alot of luck was involved, but my pride wants to say yrs of bowfishing prepared me for this moment...But as he bolts I swing the bow , punch the release , and watch the arrow hit him perfectly while he's on a full run . The rest is history .
I just couldn't believe he was alive after 4 hrs from the initial shot . He only went about 80 yds and bedded so he was obviously hurting . Just thought I'd share it since it really caught me off guard .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yes just barely . I must of hit just behind it and I went thru it within a few inches of where it attached to the wall . I wasn't really looking for it but happened to notice it while field dressing him . There was alot of blood behind the diaphragm but no guts were hit ? I'm sure its just a freak occurrence that'll never happen again . But its something to ponder and overanalyze.

Last edited: