Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

20 Gauge Slugs

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought a Remington 1187 in 20 gauge earlier this year so my wife could have a waterfowl gun. I was also looking down the road at my daughter getting involved in the outdoors. With deer season around the corner, I am going to order a slug barrel for it so she can finally have a deer gun that she can maneuver on her own. My muzzleloader is just TOO much gun for her when things get hairy and she needs to move the gun around.

That said, looking for suggestions on slugs. The Hornady SST slugs seem to be popular. Also wondering if I should go with 3" over 2 3/4" since recoil isn't a huge concern. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Hornady SSTs in 2 3/4 in are what I've shot out of my 20 gauge for a while . Seems to work well enough . Whallops em pretty good and plenty accurate out of my particular gun .

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jesse 3" is a waste of money in my book and with that being said you'll probably need too but a couple different boxes and see which ones hold the best group.... There's quite a few brands and it does get a little pricey sighting them in.....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Jesse 3" is a waste of money in my book and with that being said you'll probably need too but a couple different boxes and see which ones hold the best group.... There's quite a few brands and it does get a little pricey sighting them in.....
This, any of the modern sabot slugs will work, just find which one your barrel prefers.

I have been using 2.75" rem sluggers in my smooth bore 20 gauge for the last twenty years and the deer don't care.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My Savage likes the 2 3/4" Remington accutips.

That's what I use as well.... But each model like a specific round.... Just gotta get that round figured out.... Jesse I've got some 20 ga sabots laying around that I have acquired over the years I'll do a count too see what they are.... If we can figure out a hillbilly express you can have them....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds good man. Looks like I will win the eBay auction for the barrel for WAY less than retail. Fingers crossed on that front. Going to put a Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red Dot on there. It has 2 colors and 4 reticles. Should make for a fun little gun to tote around the deer woods!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Sounds good man. Looks like I will win the eBay auction for the barrel for WAY less than retail. Fingers crossed on that front. Going to put a Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red Dot on there. It has 2 colors and 4 reticles. Should make for a fun little gun to tote around the deer woods!

I wouldn't put a multi reticle scope on a gun for a kid. just more to go wrong. you can sight the gun in to shoot atleast 125 yards with one reticle. My sons 20 ga. is sighted in and will shoot out to 175 yards. 3" high at 100 with one reticle. we use the federal TC 3" loads. They shoot awesome. They also make them in 2 3/4" Go to federal.com for ballistics. Also seen some guns like the lightfeilds. Good luck.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My kid is a good 3-4 years out from using this gun. My wife will be using it. There is just one reticle in the scope, but 4 styles. Two different sized dots, dot in a circle and traditional cross hairs.

I'll look at the Federals. Hoping the new Rural King has a good selection today.