Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A better mouse trap

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
With late fall comes the annual migration of various critters into my old country home. Occasionally a mouse or chipmunk will find its way into the living areas of the house but mostly they live in the walls. Its just a fact of life when you have a old house in a country setting. Busting these rodents is a pain and to run a "trap line" around the basement and attached garage is a task rather than a game. I saw a idea like this somewhere. (Probably in line) Catching multiple mice all night in the same trap beats the 1 mouse/1 trap. I also noted water was replaced with antifreeze to reduce bad smell when the trap was used in a isolated areas with no pet access like a out-building or storage locker allowing only periodic clean out or re-baiting.
The first night yielded 3. Just make sure the bottle or can is able to spin freely. A evenly smeared gob of peanut butter all the way around will keep the bait wheel spinning like a lumberjack trying to do a log roll in a river. For me, its a better mouse trap.

You will need;
1 bucket (1/2 full of water)
1 water bottle (or beer can)
1 dowel rod ( arrow)
1 smear of peanut butter
1 ramp (from ground to top of bucket)

P1040769.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is awesome! I wonder if two get on at one time if it would like a couple of competing lumber jacks spinning the log?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That is awesome! I wonder if two get on at one time if it would like a couple of competing lumber jacks spinning the log?

O crap. so those 3 are the loosers and there are 3 left...

This is why I no longer use the old style traps

[video=youtube;VcSBO8YAnTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSBO8YAnTQ[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome man. I'm going to try this for sure. I have really good results with standard mousetraps, after I doctor them up a bit to make a hair trigger. I also use just the minimum amount of peanut butter so it forces them to work at it harder. But, even so, like you said the 1 mouse per 1 trap thing is definitely a downfall.