Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tag mistake

jbhunter

I recently went hunting in Gallia county during the two day muzzleloader season. I shot a doe and tagged her with an antlerless permit. About a week later I arrived home to find a business card from my local warden. After getting the card I was looking over the regs and noticed antlerless tags are not valid and in that county. Anyone have any idea what the fine or other consequences are for this violation. It was an honest mistake. Anyone else had this problem and can suggest what will happen?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No but good luck. Just contact the GW and act sorry and explain yourself.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Haven't felt with this personally, but if I where I'd just be as honest and transparent as possible. Hope they grant you mercy and grace.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you have an either sex permit from before that two day season offer it up too replace he wrong tag.... Might not help but shows you're willing too make up for it.... Keep us posted on the outcome...

jbhunter

If you have an either sex permit from before that two day season offer it up too replace he wrong tag.... Might not help but shows you're willing too make up for it.... Keep us posted on the outcome...

I did and still do have an either sex permit. I haven't been hunting since I got the wardens card at my house. I was hoping that would be the resolution but I'm not so sure that will happen.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The DNR is hurting for money so good luck. He's likely going to tell you ignorance of the law is not an excuse as it's printed clearly in the reg book. I seem to remember hearing about someone else that did the same thing I think the fine was only 125 or something. You get in more trouble for rolling through a stop sign.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Tell them the should be honored you didn't you a nuisance tag on her...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The DNR is hurting for money so good luck. He's likely going to tell you ignorance of the law is not an excuse as it's printed clearly in the reg book. I seem to remember hearing about someone else that did the same thing I think the fine was only 125 or something. You get in more trouble for rolling through a stop sign.

I think your right. If I remember right it was 125 -150 and the infraction stays on you hunting record for like 3-5 years. If you get in any other trouble while it's still on there it would take you to a 2nd offense and stiffer penalty and fine. You can be honest and that will help but as Joe said, your still going to get the ticket

jbhunter

Oh I'm sure about the ticket on this. I have had heard rumors about the way the warden treats people is horrible. I will let everyone know how it goes because I'm talking to him on Monday.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh I'm sure about the ticket on this. I have had heard rumors about the way the warden treats people is horrible. I will let everyone know how it goes because I'm talking to him on Monday.

Just remember. You catch more flies with honey. That is until he give you a ticket. Then you can dress his as down. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
See, that is the problem with this site having so many law-abiding, honest folks... crap advice here.

First, tell the dude you were hunting in one of the counties that DOES allow the cheap doe tag. Explain there must have been an error when you entered the county. If it was late in the evening when you checked it in, all the better, you were tired.

Second, delete this thread. No evidence needed.

Third, anytime you need legal/lying advice, do not come here for it. These poor fools will just roll over and pay a fine. Talk to the trashy folks that can be found most anywhere these days, or at the very least, someone like me that gets to hear their BS stories with regularity. It's amazing what you can get away with if you are just a no-good lying vermin. Why pay a fine when you can lie your way out?

Glad I could help.

:)

k.stone

central Ohio
Honest mistake for sure. Hope they go easy on you.
Watched a hunting show the other day and one of the Drury boys inadvertently tagged a doe with an "either or tag" ,I believe in Iowa, and he said he was not able to shoot a buck in that state because of that.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
See, that is the problem with this site having so many law-abiding, honest folks... crap advice here.

First, tell the dude you were hunting in one of the counties that DOES allow the cheap doe tag. Explain there must have been an error when you entered the county. If it was late in the evening when you checked it in, all the better, you were tired.

Second, delete this thread. No evidence needed.

Third, anytime you need legal/lying advice, do not come here for it. These poor fools will just roll over and pay a fine. Talk to the trashy folks that can be found most anywhere these days, or at the very least, someone like me that gets to hear their BS stories with regularity. It's amazing what you can get away with if you are just a no-good lying vermin. Why pay a fine when you can lie your way out?

Glad I could help.

:)

What he said. Brock. You know me better than that. lmao.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
get it....pay it......forget it..... Honest mistake.

I agree. I know my local WO. I believe he is fair, but if his own brother (if he has a brother) did what you did. . . . his brother would get a fine. He isn't a jerk, but he does his job. I wouldn't expect any leniency.

teej89

NE PA
Ah man sorry to hear that. I actually posted that rule the night before the early muzzy season to remind people. Hope they go easy on Ya! Just be truthful and sorry and maybe they'll let it slide with it being a new rule