Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bowhunting Summit/Stark/Wayne counties...Public Land Areas and/or Farm Access

New Here......I recently moved to Barberton, Oh due to work. I work at a facility (PPG Barberton) which owns quite a bit of property which they allow employees to hunt. After about a month of hunting I am kind of feeling land locked and would like to try somewhere else.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any public land areas that allow hunting near Barberton (which actually borders summit, wayne, and stark counties) I have looked on the ONDR website and they list Portage Lakes, Berlin Lake and Wingfoot which are actually fairly close but i was unsure if they allow hunting or are for more recreation type activities? Also there is West Branch but that is about a 45-1hr drive.

Any suggestions.....also if anyone has had experience getting permission on certain farms in the area and wouldnt mind another hunter squeezing in I would be more than greatful for some insight. I will ask the landowner but just prefer to know going in that they allow others to hunt.

Last edited:

nis1

It's slim pickins in our area man. I'm in summit county and there are not a lot of public hunting areas close to us. The closest ones are probably 40 minutes away. They have a map you can look at on the odnr website that shows where every piece of public land is. Like it said. It's very limited.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I heard the PPG property was kick ass..... Public land around this area is not the best and it's busy. I live in Wadsworth.

Also gaining permission is tough..... Just keep knocking and asking is all the advice I can give.

Good luck bud