Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

looking for advice

redeye33

Hunted my stand 3days and never saw a deer, then this morning (4th time out) had a big 8 or 10 come to my stand afterI bleated a couple times. He came in from behind and moved downwind then got skittish, I think he smelled something to make him nervous, no snort, wheeze or stomp, just a fast trot away pas and downwind of my scent pads but he kept going. Shoulsd I hunt this stand more or move about 100 yards to my old buck spot? Was gonna make the move until I saw the buck but I dint think I will see HIM again anyways. Thoughts? Thanks for the help.:smiley_confused_vra

redeye33

fixed stand, I am a scent control freak. I almost never get busted regardless of wind, almost. Scent control is of ultimate importance to me. Thanks The stand has been up since early summer

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'd be a little gun shy moving around too much in the area..... He knew something wasn't right, but didn't blow out so I think he didn't like the attractant more so then your scent or lack of... Try switching too the evercalm most guys are swearing by that stuff and there are some threads on it if you want too read up on it.... Most of us like the scent smoker as well and that's the ultimate cover scent in my opinion.....

I'm no expert deer hunter that's for sure and there's a lot of guys with proven track records of scoring on big bucks that can add a lot more then what I've brought up.... Stay tuned...

redeye33

unfortunately I only have about 10 acres of woods to hunt. There are houses but its all wooded with 4 acre lots and surrounded by corn and bean fields forever. There are very big bucks around here and I have a couple stories for later. I hunt a pinch point between corn fields. The bucks cross the roads from field to field and use these wooded sections to search and scent check. My area is narrow about 400 yards wide. Over the last 5 or 6 years I see deer about 50% of the time. The pressure is high also. FYI

redeye33

yes, 2 bleats but he just wandered off. I was hoping he would circle back around but didnt. He was nervous. I have a climber too.

rsmith

Buy some Evercalm, rub a little on the tips of your boots and a than a couple marks around the base of your stand at different heights, maybe 6 and 12 foot. I do this and have never had them be spooked once