Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New to NorthEast Ohio (PA was Home)

I have been on this website quite often since I moved here in May so I figured I would join in on the fun. Originally from NorthEast PA (Indiana County) I have hunted/trapped for basically anything that was legal my whole life growing up on a farm. As I get older and more children come the less time I get to involve in the outdoors but I am still a very dedicated deer/turkey/squirrel hunter. The last 3 years I lived in Bradford PA (Mckean County) which some call gods country as it is unbelievable amount of property in the Allegheny National Forest/NY State Park.

I have recently located to Barberton, OH (Summit County) which borders Stark County. I relocated due to work in that I acquired a position at the PPG Barberton Chemical Plant. Some may know that they own a few patches of private property outside of Norton/Barberton. Things have been going great on the home front but it seems that Ohio itself provides a lot more limitations on hunting property. I have been hunting on PPG's property for the last month with a few decent encounters but feel landlocked and was wondering if any had any contacts or suggestions of public/private land available near the area. I by no means am looking to intrude by more so I am trying to identify what is out there.

Also for those that have experience how does one usually begin the "permission" process in that I have usually hunted public land in PA nor is it required to have permission from the land owner via written consent.

I look forward to potentially meeting some knew friends on this website (especially for those who like to small game/turkey hunt) and getting good advice from people who have alot more experience in Ohio.

*Also the buck in the picture for those wondering is my PA buck this year. Limited time to hunt back home but got'er done on the first day of archery......Not a Pope and Young or anything like here in Ohio but for PA that is a quality buck

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Good luck on permission. All you can do is get a tax map and start knocking on doors. A lot of time the people that live there or work the farm are not necessarily the owners.

There is a thread on here somewhere about getting permission.

Welcome to too.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like Dante brought up get the tax map and start knocking on doors.... Just get ready for a lot of no responses.... You need thick skin when asking permission from landowners....

Thanks for the welcomes and replies.................Unfortunately that was the answer i thought i would get from my exposure so far its looking like it might be public land is all i will have access to at least this year......anyone know of any "public land" areas near summit/stark besides West Branch? I am not sure if I would be up for trying to hunt somewhere over an hour drive on a regular basis due to limited amount of time to scout.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Berlin wildlife area is maybe he same distance depending on where you live.... Directly off of rte 224