Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bred doe today

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a exciting day. I did a all day set in my woods.
A daybreak I see 12 deer in the picked corn field next to my woods. As the sun peaks through there are 8 bucks and 4 does. They are spaced out over about 30 ac.
The furthest away is about 400 yds. It's a big bodied deer and a buck. He all by himself and when he walks away at 8:30 I get a clear look at him at 500 yds. This buck is huge and even at 500 yds. his horns looks 26-28" high and very wide but pretty.
At 300 yds. there's a nice buck and a doe standing close together. For almost 2 hrs. he licks on her and keeps checking her behind. He chases the other bucks away when they get close. Then they are running towards me and stops at 175 yds. He keeps licking her. Then 4 other bucks come up and stand in a circle around them. He mounts her and bred her 2 times. About 9:15 they walk towards me and at 125 yds. they walk into the big weeds and are gone. I hoped since they are coming my way they would end up in my woods but no such luck. The other 4 bucks all follow into the weeds were they went. 3 of the 5 bucks were shooters.
Sorry about the blurry picture as I rushed the shot as I knew they didn't take to long. LOL

The other deer just fed away about 9:30.

Then at 2:00PM I look about 400 Yds. out in the adjoining hay field and there are 4 bucks and a doe. And 3 of these bucks are shooters. Something to the East spooked them and 2 big ones go into the tree line to the South. Then the big and small buck with the doe cross the powerline and enter the woods about 200 yds. South of me. But they were no shows to.

At 5:00 a small does came into the corn and walked over and entered my woods and walked past me at 20 yds. and I left her be. Hoping for a buck following by nothing showed.

Seen a total of 12 bucks and 6 does in 11 hrs. Damn some good luck has to happen and one walk by me.

Last edited:

dangerousoldman

to me thats what it is all about. Seeing things others that dont do any sitting never get to see. And the anticipation of the potential shot keeps the adrenalin flowing. Love it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I forgot to mention that in 48 yrs. of deer hunting that's the 1st doe I ever seen bred. I just never hunted the rut before 2012.
Alos seen my 1st drop tine buck. He had a 5" going straight out beside his left side G4.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent hunt from the sounds of it. Thanks for sharing Frank. Hope you continue to see some buck activity but within bow range. Awesome experience.