Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My first dip into the compound world! - Need advice

Frenchy

Hi all - Been a reader of this forum for about a year, but for some stupid reason had some technical difficulties getting an account activated. Might've had something to do with my work firewall blocking the email. Anyway, after several attempts I finally got it. This place is awesome. Easily the best outdoors forum I've ever read. Glad to finally get involved in it.

I'll do a full intro when I have more time, but to make a long story short I'm going to buy my first compound after shooting recurves and long bows for the last several years. I'm kind of taking a leap into a new world (as I often do with fishing/hunting/outdoors stuff) - I've started using trail cams (really, really addicting!) and am going to take to the trees for the first time as well. I'm also doing a lot of exploring on public ground which is pretty fun, especially with my three girls (good way to get them out on hikes and do some scouting on new ground).

Anyway, to get to the point, I need some advice on a bow. I've read some of the posts on this and I know it kind of turns into a huge list of whatever bow everyone shoots, so I'll try to make it more direct:

1. If your price ceiling was ~$1000, what bow would you buy? Obviously I'm looking for best combo of quietness, speed, and durability.

2. What if your price ceiling was more like $500, what would it be?

I figure with all your advice it'll give me a starting point to go shoot a few.

Thanks for any input.......really appreciated!

Brian

at1010

*Supporting Member*
do you care if a bow is used?

Shoot all the major brands

I love my G5prime Alloy. cost fully loaded about 1500
I also love my Mathews Helim cost fully loaded about 1000

you can do them cheaper, or a hell of a lot more. Just happens to be what you are into my man. I am sure more folks will be more help.

rsmith

If I had a ceiling of 1000 I would buy a Elite Energy 35. I have never shot one but I love the look of it and I also hear it is a amazing bow overall. I would really go to a local bow shop and maybe shoot a couple bows, by a couple I mean 10-15 and see what you like better, short or long axle to axle, dual or single cam, look, quietness.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If I had a ceiling of 1000 I would buy a Elite Energy 35. I have never shot one but I love the look of it and I also hear it is a amazing bow overall. I would really go to a local bow shop and maybe shoot a couple bows, by a couple I mean 10-15 and see what you like better, short or long axle to axle, dual or single cam, look, quietness.

This is a good point. I shot the Elite's IMO they are nice bows, I think they feel kinda bulky.

but... consider all factors. I love certain things about my Mathews, that my Alloy doesnt have, and visa versa!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'm a hoyt guy. So I'd go with a factor turbo or if you wanted to drop a little more coin the carbon Spyker are bad ass. For the $500 range my son bought a pse vision. I have been tempted to hunt with it myself after shooting it a few times.

Frenchy

Thanks guys. So MANY options. Looking at some reviews now. Not quite sure I want to dive in at the high end just yet. Looking at the PSE Drive LT. Thoughts?

Those reviews arnt worth the paper they are printed on. Look at the stats and go shoot the bows that fit your needs. and price list.

Bow tech carbon knight. 650 for the bow plus everything else. Is probably the best deal out there when you are talking bang for your buck hunting bows.
Honestly id find a used 2014 model hoyt faktor or whatever bow you end up like used on archerytalk.

rsmith

Thanks guys. So MANY options. Looking at some reviews now. Not quite sure I want to dive in at the high end just yet. Looking at the PSE Drive LT. Thoughts?

I have been looking at one of those! Have heard great things about them and I have a PSE Stinger 3G right now and love it, nice quiet accurate bow that doesn't break the bank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not up on every bow nearly as well as some of our other members. I do know $500 limit would be tough unless going used. Deer have been killed with bows much more crude than today's "lower end" bows for decades though. There are many good choices out there. Archerytalk will turn into a brand loyalty battle. On TOO I feel you will hear some teasing about brands BUT the main thing you will hear is this: shoot as many as you can and buy the one which feels the best, fits you the best, and you shoot well. Welcome to TOO.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Price up accessories too before you buy. My bow cost $900 but it quickly jumped to $1500 when I added a sight, rest, quiver, wrist sling, etc...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I like my PRIME Impact and would recommend them to anyone. If I were to buy new today it would be a Hoyt Turbo or a Bowtech just for a change.

500 ish budget and wanting new....Mission, Bowtech Carbon Knight or Hoyt Charger.

Used...Hoyt Factor Turbo or Bowtech Experience.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
As hicks said, I'm certainly not up on bows either considering I'm still shooting my first bow from over 10 years ago, a Mathews Q2xl, but I'd recommend feeling out some older used bows, do you really need to shoot 300 fps and spend $1000? Maybe, your choice obviously.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The answer to that is obviously no. A stick, string and a sharp point are all you need. However speed has its advantages and like more things, you get what you pay for.

The great thing about archery is the available choices. So many ways to do things. Just have to find what's right for you. I shoot a bow from 2007 and love it. Its what feels best and that's why I still shoot it.

NAC1989

Clark county
I had a bear element that was a little out dated so I recently upgraded to a Hoyt charger. Brand new there $600-700 for the package that came with a fuse sight and quiver and a QAD drop away rest. I couldn't be happier with the set up, it far out shoots my old bear. Just throwing in another model that keeps you closer to the $500 range and with a fully equipped and 300 fps+ shooting bow at that.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Ive always been a PSE guy. If you can find a used X force, you can get a 300 fps bow really cheap. If/when I get a new bow, I really love how the New Hoyt's feel. PSE's draw cycle is a bit rough for a lot of people

Frenchy

Shot a Mathews Chill and an Elite Energy today..........oops, I'll just apologize to my budget now!

jdgraham515

Mathews helim is a great bow as far as being lightweight with speed. Missions will be the way to go for you lower budget. I paid $379 for a mission endeavor in 2011 and it shot just as well as my helim, shoulda kept it

Frenchy

Shot a lot of bows over the last week and I just keep coming back to the Elite. The accessories are a wash regardless of which bow I buy, so I just couldn't let a couple hundred dollars effect a long term decision. Will be picking it up on a couple days and will let y'all know how it goes

Thanks for all the advice!