Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jakes 2014\15 trapping and fur journal

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20141107_143222.jpgIMG_20141107_145828.jpg I had some last minute prep work to start the season. I took next week off to bow hunt and trap now that I filled my buck tag my time is going to lean towards trapping I think. I hope by next week by this time to have 25 coon yote or two and a fox or two. I'm not much of a water trapper but love to set for the canines and coon. I have some snares to get on my stakes and some new diabolo dps to get name tags on and wax a few more leg holds and I'm ready . Only 3 days left, can't wait to get some steel out there.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I only got a couple sets out yesterday and a few DPS coon traps. All I can say is I hope last night's catch isn't how the rest of the year is going to turn out. Out of the two dirt hole sets I put out I had a big ole tom cat in one a Grinner in the other. And the 6 dog proofs was never touched. So I reset the two and set 4 more dirt hole sets for coyote and and two flat sets and a few more flat set for coon so hopefully the cold weather will get the coon moving.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Today's catch wasn't much better then yesterday. I had 1 coon pull out of a dp and ended up catching 3 coon and another damn cat. I did find a ditch with some rats in it so I'm going to try my hand at catching them. I have never set water much so I'm sure its a learning curve. We will see in the morning I guess.

Kaiser878

ohio
Good work. Your hell on them cats. Ha

Rats are the easiest animal to trap. Fins a hole shove a trap in front of it. Fins a narrow part of the crick, shove a trap in it. Find a underwater ledge where u can tell they are parelelling the bank swimming and put a trap in it. Super east animal to trap. Finding them is the hardest part. They are hard to come by

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Good work. Your hell on them cats. Ha

Rats are the easiest animal to trap. Fins a hole shove a trap in front of it. Fins a narrow part of the crick, shove a trap in it. Find a underwater ledge where u can tell they are parelelling the bank swimming and put a trap in it. Super east animal to trap. Finding them is the hardest part. They are hard to come by
Yea I agree I have trapped these ditches for coon fox and coyotes for years and this is the first year I've see rat sign.To marrow I'm gonna get the snares out. I hope the coon pickup its been slow for me and the coon. I have about 15 coon sets out and around 6 canine sets out. Those damn cats keep fuggin them up and a deer had set another off last night so they haven't produced yet .

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Today I faired a little better 5 coon and nobodies cat. The rat sets I set were in touched and my couple box traps were empty. So I set a few more slides and moved the box traps a little further up the ditch, don't know if that was right or wrong but I did the water was muddy where I set them so it seems to me that's were they are at. Tomorrow I putting out a few more canine sets and that will put me up too ten of those too keep operating.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20141114_115314.jpgWell I was presently surprised this morning I moved by dps yesterday to another ditch and even with the temps dropping out I managed 5 coon out of 6 sets. But my low of the morning was walking to a empty catch circle. I had a coyote straighten out a swivel on my shock spring. He left me my stake, swivel and about 6 links of chain.

Ricer2231

Nice haul for the drop in temps. Hate to hear the about your yote trap. The sucks. Gonna be checking mine here in about half an hour hopefully the coon were moving where I set 6 DPs last night. Good luck and keep knocking them down.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20141115_093656.jpgWell I finally caught my first rats. And picked up another coon. I ended up pulling off a ditch till it warms up. So I only have 6 DPS and a few canine sets out and I haven't ran those yet today. Wishing this weather would warm up a little.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
A big goose egg this morning. I pulled most of my coon sets and left the rat sets. And I pulled my canine sets also. Gonna wait a see how much snow we get.
First weeks total
9 coon
2 rats
0 coyotes (1 pull out do to bad swivel)
1 Grinner
2 tomcats
0 fox
I hope the weather straightens up and it don't stay this cold very long.