Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going on my Gut

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Welp, my season has been pretty in eventful. Between work and other obligations, I only had 2 hours on stand. Well, my vacation started on the 1st of November and some much needed time on stand was about to happen. I am hunting a 92 acre tract of thick nasty clearcut and pines. I have 3 TC's out and only 1 shooter captured. My tree stands are positioned strategically on pinch points following the travel corridor in this area. Monday was my first time on this particular set, over looking a tight pinch point creek crossing. The wind was coming out of the SSW, perfect or this set. Strapped in and smoked up clothes and equipment at 6:30 am. The first 3 hours was dead, but it heated up hot at around 10:00. I saw a 150" ten point dogging a doe I a pasture field that borders our lease. A couple of smaller bucks in tow, were also on chase. I heard movement behind me and here comes another doe with 2 more bucks trailing her. They crossed below me up wind perfectly without catching my wind. An awesome day in the woods. Monday ended with 5 bucks and 6 does seen. I hunted the same stand on my fateful day on Tuesday November 4th. I saw 3 small bucks and one doe by 11:30, but wasn't impressed with the wind and sun beating on me, so I elected to move to my other stand a 100 yards away. A much better set for bright sunny days. I sat for 4.5 more hours with not a peep of a deer. Then all of a sudden, I heard a twig snap behind me. I reached for my bow and prepared for a possible shot. Glad I did, the 150" 10 point was 20 yards away and walking my direction. I drew my bow and held tight to his crease behind the front shoulder. I touched off my release and the arrow blew through him perfectly. He went 40 yards and fell over. I fist pumped and thanked God for my good fortune. I text my brother(FS) and close friends and walked up to him. Then I realized he was the buck dogging the does the day before. So my good fortune was due to following a gut decision and making my own luck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great couple days in the stand for sure bro! The weather wasn't perfect but IMO, you did pick a good week to hunt. The seek and chasing phase can be very exciting when your in the right tree. A pinch near a bedding area is a great place to be!

Great read and congratulations on making a great shot on that stud 10! Well deserved bro!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Outstanding! Love the Ric and Ron tagteam combo! You guys get it done! Congrats buddy.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Priceless....Just Plain Priceless! Real glad you and Ric both got your deer and time spent together. Nothing but Priceless!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
IMG_1226ron.jpg