Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late morning hunts?

I was reading this somewhere else but what do you guys think is the most productive time of the day this time of year. I've always seen more deer in the afternoon here on the farm but keep hearing the magical "10:00-2:00" theory. It makes sense as most hunters are leaving the woods then but who knows. What's your thoughts?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Both my main properties are late morning spots. Deer tend to move best from 9-11. I've seen some during midday, but that time slot in the morning seems to be the best.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This is what I've read. A mature buck knows how and when to search for hot does. And when would be the best time to do it? When he knows the does will be in bed, from 10-2. So that's why I've been posting up right outside the does bedroom, I've only seen small bucks come out so far.

redeye33

I dont like to sit all day, 4 hours is my max., if given the choice, would you guys hunt early morning (in at dark til 10) or wait sleep in and go out at 8 or 9 till 1 or 2? Or maybe mix it up on different days? Thanks for your input.

teej89

NE PA
This is what I've read. A mature buck knows how and when to search for hot does. And when would be the best time to do it? When he knows the does will be in bed, from 10-2. So that's why I've been posting up right outside the does bedroom, I've only seen small bucks come out so far.

That's a very good point, never thought of it like that.

I've experienced the same, 10-2 is always a good window for action IMO

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I've never really hunted the mid afternoon. 10-2. I've always done either 4hr in the AM or 4hrs in the PM. Is is tempting to try after reading about big bucks going down in midday hrs.