Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

4 product review used today

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did a set today in 30 degree temp and 16MPH wind. It was cold and windy. I thought it would be a good time to do a test of my Cabelas Extreme Cold Stand insulated coveralls I bought last January.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...ld+coveralls&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products
I couldn't have picked a better day for a test. I have no regrets on buying these coveralls. They are heavy and bulky but was no problem stand setting. The hand warmer muffs were nice and it has a pocket on top for hand warmers that I used to put my phone and a pair of gloves in.
In fact it kept me so warm that in 5 hrs. I didn't even zip the front up as I was warm enough. I do wish I would have gotten the next larger size but when I bought them on a closeout the 2X Large wasn't available.

Next was my Sorrel insulated boots. They kept my feet warm and toasty even after walking through the creek. I only had on heavy socks.

Next is my Big Dog 2 man wrap around ladder stand. I bought 2 of these in 2013 when Menards had a after season closeout. It is rock solid and roomy. I did make a improvement to it by bolting on a plastic form fitting chair bottom. I have a lower back and pelvic problem and with these form fitting seats I can do a 12 hr. set. Otherwise I can't set 10 minutes on a hard flat surface.

Last but not least is the Big Dog ladder stand blind I bought from Phil in 2013. The blind keeps the rain and wind off you while helping to hid you outline and movements.

I find no reason to improve on or replace any of these 4 items.

I also tried a pair of thin silk gloves today under my light weight camo gloves I wear. I did keep my hands in my hand warmer muff most of the time but when I had my hands out they were chilled. I remembered the thin black silk gloves I had in my pack from turkey hunting. And boy was I surprised when I put the silk under my light weight gloves I found no need to use the hand warmer muff. The only explanation I have at this point is the small amount of air locked cause the warmer feeling. I'll keep working on this. I have silk socks I got with the garage sale sock buy that I'll try to see if it has the same warm effect. I'll report on that later.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I bought the same coverall last year right when I got back from Ohio. I think I bought it just after Thanksgiving and it was on sale for $219.99. I used it for a few late season hunts in temps in the single #'s and it was plenty warm. Only bad thing is its so warm you really can't wear it walking to your stand. I did and was sweating like a pig when I got there. It does roll up into its own bag so it's pretty easy to carry it out there with you.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I bought mine I believe after ajupsman posted about his purchase.

And yes I will not be walking in these anywhere. I carried mine in my big backpack so it was ready to go.

My main problem is my heart only pumps at 50% and my legs, arms, and face get cold fast. That did not happen today. So I'm sold on the coveralls. I did have a sky facemask on also and never did put the hood up.

I would consider this coverall a stand setting piece of clothing only. With my health problem I doubt it will take me into the teens but with a small heater close by I will try it. But with the 16MPH wind today it probably was feeling like the teens. I should have taken my wind tester with me and I surely believe the wind at times was way over 16MPH.

What did you get the coveralls for on clearance?