Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Its time......almost!!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok boys, welp Ill be hunting 2 weeks straight around Thanksgiving. I get in 1 week before Thanksgiving. As I do with everything, and many of yall know about me...I over think everything.

I will most likely get to the farm around 12-2 on Friday before Thanksgiving and hunt everyday up till the holiday.

Here is my question if you were me would you
1. rush to hunt friday?
2. unpack Friday get settled, grab camera cards, do quick scout see which plots are getting hit etc. Make gameplan start hunting Saturday AM?

what would you do?

teej89

NE PA
Haha I think it's unanimous. I'm a victim myself of spending too much time dinking around with cameras when I could just be hunting.

Meant to ask, you ever get into hunting any hogs down there?

Hunt. Trail cameras I have positioned where I can pull cards on my way in/out from hunting different spots so I am not worried about running out there. Not to mention I am a believer that running around the first day doing all that can be the sounding of the alarm that people are out and about again for the week.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be of the opposite mindset here just for a different perspective.

I'd get clean, smoke up and go check my low impact cameras. Scout from the UTV and otherwise get a handle on how things look. Go back to the cabin, shoot the bow to make sure things are in order, get my gear straight, enjoy a good meal and a few beers as the sun sets. Go to bed early and wake up refreshed, focused and ready to rock. I like to have my shit straight and rushing to hunt would leave me feeling just that, rushed. IMO, it would not be wasted time doing what I described above.

I'd get clean, smoke up and go check my low impact cameras. Scout from the UTV and otherwise get a handle on how things look. Go back to the cabin, shoot the bow to make sure things are in order, get my gear straight, enjoy a good meal and a few beers as the sun sets. Go to bed early and wake up refreshed, focused and ready to rock. I like to have my shit straight and rushing to hunt would leave me feeling just that, rushed. IMO, it would not be wasted time doing what I described above.

Hmm, Jesse makes a lot of good points too! Last time I was down with my son if we had taken a ride the one afternoon we would have known our brassica plot was getting hammered and we would have hunted it.

teej89

NE PA

damn I change my vote to what jesse said. Very good point, why rush it if you may end up wasting time or doing harm?

rsmith

I'm with Jesse on this one, I would rather check cams, see what is hitting what where and when, make sure my bow is in sight still, make sure I eat good, go to bed early and wake up ready to go in the morning.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse- that was my gut reacation exactly! This is what I have been leaning towards.

my question is, woudl you check cams with 4 wheeler, or just do quick walk to get them? 2 cams are very close to house, I can get without much distrubance, one is far but I can walk to in about 20/30 minutes nice and slow.

dangerousoldman

I think if where i am staying is on or close to where I will hunt then I might take a couple hours and settle my stuff in then I would look to see if there is a general observation spot where I could do some scouting without impacting the overall area. I would take my bow and semihunt probably but an evening of observation could be invaluable. plus your best time to do that would probably be last couple hours of the day and you can get a good bit done before that if you arrive around noon or so. Kinda feeds the common sense thought and the urge to get out there. Just my opinion but I would love to be able to spend an evening observing without feeling guilty about not being in a stand. If you get a good spot to observe from then you will be miles ahead of walking all over to see sign.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Quad. Deer pay them no mind. If you walk, they will know.

I am thinking this too. It is very quick to use it to grab cameras, they hear them on the road every saturday night, its like a damn nascar track come Saturdays hahah! Also gas man goes into 2 plots atleast 1 time a week, those plots are the closests to the road, with easy access too.

I think im just so damn excited I am actually anxous to go! hahaha

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Finishing up your "homework" and getting a solid game plan together is crucial. Nine times out of ten, it will be more productive than just rushing into a stand. If this is a farm you haven't been able to monitor, how do you know your entry and exit routes are still solid? Deer movements have changed with the food sources changing. Not exactly sure what your situation is, but definitely some things to think about before heading out into the timber.