Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Potato Soup - Venison Stew

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looking to make a couple stick to your ribs type soups, so if anyone has a recipe or two they are willing to share, they'd be much appreciated.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have a potato soup recipe that is easy and good. I don't put any meat in it except sometimes ham. I top it with bacon most times. Let me know if you want me to post it. Not sure it would be good with venison.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. I'm not combining the two, just those are the two types I'm looking to so. My wife loves tater soup and I love me some stew. Time to do up my own versions.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My favorite potato soup is pretty easy. I will cook down 1lb bacon until its not quite crispy. Remove the bacon. The I will take my diced taters, finely chopped celery, onions, and carrots and sautee them in the bacon grease until the veggies get a bit soft. Then I will add chicken stock and bring to a slow boil for about 45 minutes. At this point I like to add enough heavy whipping crème to the desired thickness. Then I will add the bacon crumbles back in, and, If you have it, some smoked cheddar or any smoked cheese to it just makes it awesome. I really am a bread lover, so some good Italian bread crisped up in the oven is a must for cheesy tater soup. Almost forgot about the spices. At about the last minute of sautéing, I like to add a tablespoon of sweet basil, and a teaspoon of Lawry's seasoning salt. After that, I wait until everything is coming together before seasoning to taste with any pepper or more salt.

Last edited:
Here is our simple venison stew that you could make into a noodle soup too if you wanted.

3-4 lbs. venison steaks, cubed meat, etc.
2 packets of Lipton Onion Soup mix
2-3 packets of brown gravy mix.

Put the meat in a crock pot, sprinkle the soup mix over and cover all with water. Turn on high and let it cook all day long, say start at 9 am and let it go til after 3 pm. The meat will flake apart.

If you want to make stew with potatoes you'll cut up 4-5 skinned potatoes, carrots to suit, perhaps celery, etc. The carrots and potatoes can be put into the crock pot at this point and let cook for about 2 more hours.

After 2 hrs. then add the brown gravy mix to thicken. You can cook the gravy in a pan on the side per the packet directions and allow it to get thick and then add to the crock pot to mix around.

Soup idea:

Back in the day we used to just cook the venison up with the onion soup mix (no veggies) and add the gravy mix, then cook up egg noodles, put them in a bowl and scoop the venison over top to make kind of a soup.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My wife makes a awesome potato soap but I doubt she has a recipe. I'll check as she just dumps and runs with it. It doesn't go to taste around here.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Here's my buddy Chips venison stew recipe!
1 quart of canned deer
1 can of carrot slices
1 can of peas
1 can of cream of celery soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cans of potatoe slices or cubes
A large can of mushroom slices
Add all ingredients in a crock pot let simmer on low over night or while at work.
It's awesome to eat as stew or bake some biscuits and smother them with this stew!