Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Considering a Change

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Im 36 years old now, and Im considering changing jobs again. I did like my current job. In September, our old Boss left for our Mechanicsburg facility, and we got a young kid who has never managed before. We knew he was getting the job ,despite the fact that he wasn't even remotely close to the most qualified that applied. It was a political thing, which always fucks shit up. Anyways, this guy is terrible. He is terrible at every aspect of decision making, terrible with managing employees and their needs. He is a complete dick. I've tried to be nice and hope he would change. But I realize its just the way he is. There are 4 of us full time employees here, and 2 at our smaller "sister" facility that I help out a few miles away. All but 1 of us are planning our exits. I just cant fathom working for this guy any longer than I have to. We get our big bonuses in a month or so and I think everybody is gonna Johnny paycheck their ass and "Take this Job and Shove It". I have an offer for a factory job for similar pay after the new year. I will be giving up 4 weeks vacation and a week sick time, but it's 12 hour shifts, 3 days on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off type of thing. So I would have plenty of time for hunting and fishing and my family. I haven't worked a factory in 18 years, but I just despise the thought of going into work every day now. I worked my ass off for awhile to put my wife through school, and now she makes really good money. She was skeptical at first, but now she's seeing how stressed I am, and she's supporting me to do it. So Im gonna just put it into cruise control for a few months and make the change.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Things change, if you like the job he may not last the amount of time that you'll need too go too the factory job.... Especially if people start bailing because of him.... When your coworkers leave tell them too let the owner know that he's the reason that they are.... Put it back on him for being a douche.... Good luck on your transition Ryan.....

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Any chance you can cash your bonus check and take your 4 weeks of vacation at the beginning of the year? As long as your vacation time isn't pro rated of course.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck with this Ryan. This is my 3rd week at my new job and it was the right decision. No doubt it is a tough thing to do, but changing careers is a good move when you've made the right choice. Make a list of pros and cons, then let that speak for itself.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is it truly the "boss" or is it the job? If you guys all enjoy your jobs, I think I would sit down and let his boss know. Losing the majority of all employees sounds like a real pain for those above your immediate boss. If the company has taken reasonable care of you up until now, that is not a cool move. Hate to see you burn a bridge you may need someday.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
It's sucks to have a boss you dislike. It happened to me for 5yrs and it was miserable. But that's where I made the most money and had the most vacation time so I stuck it out. Good luck on your transition. It's a tough decision

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Is it truly the "boss" or is it the job? If you guys all enjoy your jobs, I think I would sit down and let his boss know. Losing the majority of all employees sounds like a real pain for those above your immediate boss. If the company has taken reasonable care of you up until now, that is not a cool move. Hate to see you burn a bridge you may need someday.

This ^

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Ryan I told your wife she was going to be a sugar mama if they don't get your schedule straight. Then I got to thinkin.... so....

I also called your boss and bribed him to be a little more flexible with you guys at work. I can't have you being unemployed and burning our stands up. rotflmao

No Christmas at my house this year, but ill be damned if our stands get burnt out.....

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Ryan I told your wife she was going to be a sugar mama if they don't get your schedule straight. Then I got to thinkin.... so....

I also called your boss and bribed him to be a little more flexible with you guys at work. I can't have you being unemployed and burning our stands up. rotflmao

No Christmas at my house this year, but ill be damned if our stands get burnt out.....

There's no bribing this guy. He was handpicked by several of the upper echelon people in the company. All their families vacation together, camp together, that kind of bullshit. Everybody has bitched about him from his very beginnings in the company's program for fast tracking to managerial positions. In the 2 months he's been here, it's been 1 phone call after another. 1 email after another to anyone that matters. None of it has mattered. It's always brought back to us as an "employee Problem", not managerial. I think my mind is made up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When you put it that way. . . .sounds like you guys have done your due diligence to attempt to let management know about their problem.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Being miserable at your job sucks. Sometimes moving on is best but it's never an easy decision. Best of luck man.

That's the thing. I get that doomed feeling come over me everytime I have to go in. I've never actually had a job I didn't enjoy. Im 36 and have had 4 places of employment my entire life, always leaving for a higher paying, better job. And I always left on good terms, with no hard feelings either way. I gotta admit, Im nervous as hell thinking about changing jobs again. But I do know quite a few people at the new place and they all like it for the most part. Plus, within a few years the money will be better.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sound advice from everybody so I don't have too much to add, BUT it's probably worth using those vacation days as a negotiation point for your next job. Always ask. Let them know you'd like to carry over those vacation days. The new company could still say "no" but don't just assume they won't give them to you. That's 4 weeks of pay. Maybe they don't give you 4 weeks but maybe they adjust your pay to account for the vacation days they can't give you? Point is, just ask. The worst they could say is "no".

Good luck with everything!!