Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best pre-rut and rut scents?

Hey gents! Now, I ask this with a grain of salt, as I haven't really found anything that I found to be actually effective but, I'll see what you guys use. What pre rut and estrus scents have you guys used with success? I've used Tinks 69 and Tinks Doe Pee for the last few years without real success. Let's see what you big buck killers use and how effective do you think it is? Thanks guys!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm no big buck killer, but I don't use any estrus or urine, other than my own. For deer, give me a scent smoker, ever calm and I'm good to go. Now I have used the wafers before, but I don't think they do any good. To each his own though.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I got some buck tarsal glands in the freezer I plan on busting out this Friday! I hear doe tarsals work good also. I've never tried it but its worth a shot, might piss a big boy off and get him in closer.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I got some buck tarsal glands in the freezer I plan on busting out this Friday! I hear doe tarsals work good also. I've never tried it but its worth a shot, might piss a big boy off and get him in closer.
I forgot about tarsals. I have used those before, and the DO work. I always drag them behind me when I start getting close to my stand. You know those are the real deal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm no big buck killer, but I don't use any estrus or urine, other than my own. For deer, give me a scent smoker, ever calm and I'm good to go. Now I have used the wafers before, but I don't think they do any good. To each his own though.

x2.

x3 on the tarsals.

About the only thing I have faith in any more is the ConQuest Ever Calm others have mentioned. I have a stick of the ConQuest Rutting Buck that I used last time I was down in a mock scrape so I'll be interested in seeing what that amounted to. In the past I had some success with Wildlife Research Golden Estrous up here in Michigan and occasionally in mock scrapes down there but the last few times I bought and used seemed to just be a waste.