Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NE ohio public land

nis1

Hey guys, I generally hunt private land but am looking for any recommendations for public land around NE Ohio. I have a buddy that got a not and has been shooting and wants to get in the woods, my problem is that I can't take anyone on the properties I hunt so that leaves is with public. We are about 20 min south of Akron. Not looking for any secret spots, just some recommendations for spots with higher deer concentrations. Thanks!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Take a look at zeppernick wildlife area.... There's a lake there and lots of early season sightings..... During and after gun season.... Good luck...... I've walked it while bunny hunting and always see good sign there.....

nis1

I actually fished there years ago and have checked out the map several times, we may just have to check that out. Thanks!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The section south of the lake across 172 is where I mostly ran the dogs and checked out the deer sign.... Have talked too folks who said the north side of the lake is pretty good sign as well, especially around the end of it where it butts up too the private land....
Good luck in your endeavor and let me know how it worked out.....

Treed

Stark County
Berlin Lake has quite a bit of public hunting as well. They don't get a lot of pressure until gun season. There's also an archery only area at Dale Walborn Reservoir between Marlboro Ave and Osborne Ave just north of Allen Dr. You can park at the intersection of Allen Dr. and Osborne Ave and walk in. Hope that helps. If you have a smart phone, you can download Onx Maps Hunt. It'll tell you who owns every piece of land in the state and also show you all public access hunting areas as well. It comes with a one week free trial.

nis1

Thanks for the input guys. We seriously looked into Berlin but with all the drainage and rivers it looks a little hard to access. I think we have decided on west branch, if anyone ha been there, any input would be great, thanks!