Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

new farm

NEOhunter

heath.JPG

Hey everyone just got a new place tonight and I'm really excited. It is about 130 acres and I'm estimating half of it is wooded. My parents have 13 acres and my MIL has 10 so this seems huge to me. It is on a back country road here in Trumbull county. The guy who is letting me hunt is a friend of my wives from high school so that's how I got it. I have a few questions that hopefully I could get some help/advice from you guys. I'll try to give as much info on the property that I know as of today. The property is surrounded by a lot of woods and crop fields and is pretty "countryish" in my opinion. Not many houses close to it or much traffic from what I was told. He doesn't have any crops but he has cattle. The cattle stay in the yellow boundaries and the red is the property outline. The blue line is the creek that runs through it. The blue circle is roughly the spot he showed me where he said a 14 point, and 12 point were taken the past two years respectively. The North end of the property he showed me and said that's where he sees mostly doe bedding down and hanging out in the mornings.
My questions:
1. Will cattle effect deer behavior?
2. Is it too late in the year to be doing a lot of scouting while I am hunting?
3. Anybody have any thoughts on stand locations?

Thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If the cows have been there for a while, the deer are used to them.

Scouting wise, I'd avoid being overly intrusive. Find some good sign and set up near it. If you feel you must scout, do it midday and try to do it in the rain.

What's in the field N of the cows? How is the topography?

epe

Lancaster
Saturday night after duck hunting, there was a nice buck in a cow pasture messing with a cow, then the cow turned around and chased the buck...goofy stuff

NEOhunter

The field to the north is used for hay for the cattle. The southwest part of the property has a valley running through it that the owner told me stays wet at the bottom. The ridges aren't too high on either side. The north end of his property borders a neighboring corn field.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I'd be sure to check out the north east part of the property where the creek is inside the property line. If there are a lot of does on the north side then the bucks will be there following soon

NEOhunter

Has the corn been cut yet?
The corn hasn't been cut yet. Not much of the corn has been cut yet up here in Northern Trumbull county from what I've noticed.
I'm thinking of checking out the north east part on my first sit, hopefully this drop in temperature this weekend will help. I'm ready to see some action, that is if I haven't missed the rut all ready!!