Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Summer sausage deer meat

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My nephew got the doe I gave him from early season ML back from the processor.
For 179.00 they processed the deer, smoked 2 rear hams, cut up the choice steaks and made 16 sticks of 1.5 lb. summer sausage.
I think that hell of deal.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
That's how I'm getting my doe done. Told them to save me the backstraps and inner loins and then summer sausage for the rest. They charge $70 for the processing and then $2.50/pound for the summer sausage. Small doe so not sure what the final bill will be. Their sausage is in 3 lbs sticks. I would love to do all this myself... some day.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
They charge about 70.00 process and 5.00 for 1.5 lb. summer sausage. Half the sausage has chedar cheese in it. Not sure what the smoked hams cost. It was good.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Sounds about the same then. This place will add jalapeno cheddar for an extra 50 cents a pound but that's not for me. Never tried a smoked deer ham but damn now I'm getting hungry!

Treed

Stark County
Making sausage is next on my list. I just did my first home butcher job a few days ago. If you have sharp knives and are patient, it's not that hard at all. Takes some time to get it done but it's a good feeling of accomplishment once it's all packaged up and in the freezer.