Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doctor told me to watch my health ......ended up in the hospital for 5 days

I had to watch my health and how I felt

Well he was right
Tue morning I felt a little "Off" so I stayed around the house
A little before noon I had a short but super bad headacke and it sounded like a buzz in my head

After that I got up and gould amost not walk , my right side didn't want to work
My lips were numb , I couldn't write clearly or talk right

So off to the ER

Got there a little after 12:30 PM ....filled out 1 form and they took me into a ER room
Blood pressure was 150's over 90 something sitting down
High 180's over 120 standing

Sent to get a CT quick
Every 10 to 15 min I felt sick and wanted to pitch my cookies
I got something to help with that , but not enough of the drug
As every time I felt like pitching my cookies , I would sweet so bad the sweet would run off me
So they gave me the max amount and that helped ,but I still was pitching my cookies every once in a while

They wanted to watch my pulse , blood presure and breathing
So they put stickers on my chest , every time I would start sweeting
They all fell off , I went through most of a box of them before I got to a room

Pulse rate normaly mid to upper 60's
But sometimes it droped to 20-25 for a min or jump up to 120's for few min
Breaths was normaly 30ish
But I would sometimes drop to 1 or 2 for min or jump up tp 50+ for a min
I came in with a 295 blood sugar

I got a couple of meds to stabilize my breathing , blood sugar and pulse

I got to the ER a little after 12:30 PM , finaly got to a room a little after 9:30 PM Tue evening
I was suposed to have several tests Wen early and then get lunch
Finaly got the 3 tests Wen evening and then had a late!!!! supper ....like 8:30 PM
They tested my blood sugar just before I ate , still up and 275 after no eating for 36+ hours

Thur I had another CT and a cest Xray and was put on a new blood pressure med ( now 110 to 130 over 58-60) and a blood sugar med
Friday I got a head and neck MRI and they found 2 small bleeds , in the same area that I smashed up the last day of 2011
Also with contrast ( made me turn red LOL )
So I did have 1 or 2 small strokes
I also had a EEG and it showed I was having seizers in my brain and with the brain injurey before , I my have a lot more of them

So Sunday around noon I got sent home

So I was put on a anti sizure med to controll the munber and how bad they will be ( side efects are a long list of not so fun things that can happen )
In 6 weeks I go in to see that doctor for more tests and maybe more meds and long term maybe a opperation to controll the damaged part of my brain

I was put on a new Blood pressure Med and have to check it every morning
In 8 weeks I see a doctor to see if the new meds are working

I was put blood sugar pill and have to take my blood sugar every morning , in 2 weeks I see a doctor to see if more is needed to be done
I hope the pill takes care of the blood sugar
I don't realy wany to geive myself shots 3X times a day fo the rest of my life

It was recomended to me , treestands are not a wise choice for at least 6 weeks
So Most of the deer hunting I will be doing for that long ,will be from a ground blind
As I might no be able to get out of a treestand if I have another stroke

I am not looking for a pitty party
I just wanted the rest of you to know how easy your life could be totaly screwed up
As I felt fine up till I had the stroke
Doc said they tested my H1C and it showed a slightly high blood sugar the last 30 days , but not anywhere close to what I had Tue when I got to the ER
So that is another thing they are going to look into

FUN FUN FUN :smiley_blackeye:
John

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dangit, John, sorry to read this! Do as they instruct with the meds, follow the "rules" and hope for the best. And for cripes sake, stay out of trees! Hopefully they can get you straightened out with the meds!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear but at least you paid attention to the side effects and got help quick enough.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Life is very precious and fragile. Take care john and get some rest. Sounds like your in for a lil fight. Best of luck

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow. Thanks for sharing John. Does not sound like a fun road you are on. Hang in there and enjoy your ground hunts. No need to create more stuff to deal with by falling out of a tree. Be careful.