Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Questions

Hoytman62

I have found a pretty good place to hunt. I have does and bucks both traveling two runways as they say. I can't seem to get them in closer for a bow shot. Any suggestions? As you know I'm new at this only hunting 2 years with a bow. How do you descent your bow or do you? If you spray it, it would leave white stuff all over it. Thanks for your help!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The problem is you are trying to "decent" or trying to smell invisible. No matter what you do there is going to be scent. So you have to try and figure out what is the best scent for you to have that will not alarm deer.

Smoke is by far the best thing I have found for a cover scent for clothing skin and equipment.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
In cases where I don't have a good stand location on a trail, I bring them to a point of my choosing. One cool idea I did years ago was to take a gallon plastic bag and dig up a scrape from a location outside of my local deer. The new "man made" scrape made the local bucks freak out on it and they come back repeatedly at first to leave their own scent. Of course the local does come in to check it out too. You also have the option of using food such as apples, pears or corn; spread out/aka "a pile". (They will find it no matter where you put it in the woods) Commercial drippers filled w/ one of the various doe-in-heat. Rattling if you know how or a doe/fawn bleat.

Good camo, scent control or just hunting the wind. Movement control. Look at the land and look for a "deerie" type spot and draw them to you, or past you. Even 10 or 20 yard re-direct closer to me can make a difference sometimes. On private land, (with permission from the land owner) I once noticed where a large bushy tree top limb had fallen, blocking a deer path and moved that deer run 25 yards south to a point I could hang a stand. The deer just took the next easy path so they could just continue the east/west travel route. It was just one of those random travel paths deer use to go to and from their food, water and bedding areas. In those woods they also browsed for red and white and pin oak acorns. They were comfortable moving down the new path showing much more alertness when they approached a food or bedding area.

Some years later in a different woods I ended up with a similar situation. A well used path going through a 5-6 year old lot that had been selectively logged. I dropped a small tree across the run at the entrance to the lot. They just shifted the run around the tree line. (To me...)

As far as my bow goes; I don't give it much thought. I put a drop of good gun on all the moving parts each year. wipe the dust off with a damp rag and go town. lol. I like to believe that any oil or "bow smell" is more mechanical smelling (tractor/4 wheeler/lawn mower) than human. Smells they encounter through-out the week all their lives. (frankly, my breath going down wind some days worries me more. lol
I suppose you could wipe it down with a earth scent wipe or the likes. There are some folks here that smoke all their clothing. maybe they have some advise TOO.

Best of luck this season!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
wow. when I started to respond, there were no posts.
wish I had learned to type. :smiley_depressive: