Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A Buck that happened for a Reason

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Some things just plain happen for a reason. I had been watching this particular buck since July. Just took a liking to his unique rack that he was growing. Cdy00003.jpg Season came in and I had many different pics of him at different stages. MFDC0404[1].jpg First night in the stand I had a 9 pt about 130-135 underneath me but I held out. Next 3 nights, I had the same 8 pt about 125 gorging on pears, corn and apples until dark. The fifth day of season, I didn't have a job for my crane and was working in the yard. I pretty much knew I could sneak out early and get in the stand. The last picture I had of this buck was at my Grandson's Blind. This particular blind, you have to be in it by 5:00 in the early season. If not, you will spook deer going in. I was trying to get home and dressed by 4:30. But things happen......I was about to leave and a truck came in....I had to hurry and unload it to leave. Then we got a call about a trailer needing to be picked up..... One thing led to another and my time was dwindling fast. I told my boss twice I needed to be leaving and I was starting to get fairly pissed at not getting any help. I finally got out of there and traffic was a little slow that day as well. All my plans just seemed to be falling apart with no break in sight.
Once I got home, dressed and smoked up good because of the work smells on me, it was too late to try and get to the blind. I was fairly angry again to say the least. I really had no choice but to go back to the stand I had been hunting. I had only been in that stand about 40 minutes when a doe came in down wind and started nibbling around. After about 5 minutes, I seen her keep looking to the North. I thought it was her baby coming in late as usual. It was hard to get excited as this stand was not where I wanted to be. Out from behind the brush came a rack and it was a familiar one at that! My heart immediately relocated to my throat and I was nervous. I remember looking away and thinking....DO NOT LOOK AT HIS RACK! He came in and wanted to "play"....she was having no part of it and ran off. He looked her way and I got the bow up and ready.....still not looking at his rack. When he leaned down to get a pear, I picked a spot and squeezed the trigger. The hollow thump let me know it was a hit, the mule kick said it may have been good, arrow in dirt said pass-through. I watched him run about 70 yards in a semi-circle and stop behind a leafy branch. Then I seen the beans briefly move some more and I figured he was down.
I reach for my phone and when I looked at it, Joels text message showed up. I was trying to find the little green phone pic on my phone and keep an eye on the spot he fell as well. I finally remember hearing the phone ring and Joel answering it. I just had to talk to someone because I shake too bad after the shot to be climbing out of a tree. Funny because he said first thing was "Joel?" "Yeah" "I Got That Fugger!" After I calmed down I went to where I thought he fell and there he was. One of the biggest bodied bucks I had ever shot. When I picked him up, I was a little heart broken as he had broken off one of his unique tines in the last 5 days. He still had 13 scorable points and a beautiful mahogany colored rack. None the less, it was still my target buck and still a blessing to experience. I honestly now believe I was supposed to be in that stand that night and everything that day really DID happen for a reason. I went to work the next day and told my boss what happened and thanked her for the way it happened. Next time one of your hunts is falling apart, go anyhow! Some things just really DO happen for a reason!
DSCN0659A.jpg DSCN0679A.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great read, Rick! Getting your target buck is always a great accomplishment - something we are all hoping to do! :)

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Congrats Rick! Great read. I'll remember this story the next time I feel defeated.