Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed question?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Does the bottom part of an antler, that attaches to the deer's skull (the pedicle), give you any indication of a deers mineral needs? The reason Im asking is, I heard someone say that if the Pedicle's appearance is concave or even flat then the buck is lacking minerals and if it's convex in appearance, then it is getting enough mineral intake. So is this total BS or is this a good indicator of mineral needs? Ric and Ron what's your opinion?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
IMO, for what it's worth. I say BS..... Reason being, that my largest shed and sheds that I found are flat or con-caved. I have a 90" typical horn that was completely flat at the pedical. It had 2 tines at least 11" long, 27" main beam, and 4 mass measurements totaling 22". I don't think he lacked in nutrition. I think it's just another genetic trait, but what do I know.
Good question though Aaron.

ohio
Lol every year it happens. But yeah i agree its genetic. Ive found big ones and little ones with concave, convex, and flat. Also found some with shingles and complete sheds made of plastic