Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your Thoughts..

DeerHunter42

Medina, Co.
Guys,
I wanted to start with a little background on myself before I get your opinion on a situation that occurred yesterday evening. I am 21 years old and this is my second season taking bow hunting seriously. I used to only gun hunt southeastern Ohio every year until my dad got me into bow hunting. I fell in love with the sport and it is all I think about. I've been lucky to have the opportunity to harvest a beautiful 10pt (roughly 130 inches) with my bow in 2012 (the year before I got serious). Last year I never really had a great opportunity. I didn't see but maybe two mature bucks, and when i did they were out of bow range. I was frustrated but it fueled me to have a great summer of scouting and be prepared for opening day 2014. So that's exactly what I did. I scouted hard this summer and patterned 4 shooters 3 eight points and a 9 point. All are about 4 year olds and the biggest is every bit of 140-150 inches as a typical 8 point. Opening day arrived and I was unable to hunt the morning. I was on my way to the property to find out one of the shooters was killed on the neighbors property that morning. Luckily it wasn't the biggest but still sucks to see it. It was a beautiful evening on Sept. 27th and at 7ish I had the big 8 show up and came within 30 yards. The wind was in my favor, but it seemed to be swirling at the time and he winded me and busted. I figured it was the last I would see of him. Yet he was back on my cameras in two days. Fast forward to yesterday evening October 22nd. Another beautiful evening. At 6:15 I had him and another one of the shooters show up together in a different stand at 30 yards and i shot low. I was very nervous and feel like i definitely rushed the shot. I feel disgusted in myself. Yet I'm trying to take the positive out of it and learn from my mistake. I'm hoping after busting him twice he won't leave the area after seeing how he was back on camera in 2 days last time and I might get another crack at him in the next week before the rut kicks in. What do you guys think? Do you think after busting him twice he is probably gone?? Any words of encouragement would help as I missed the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting..

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Stick with it. As long as he don't known what happened he will be back. And the ruts about Here its hard to tell what might happen the next week or so. Just stay with it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
hell be back, for all he knows that was a twig that broke from the wind haha!

Only probably is with the rut kickin in that deer could chase a long way, then go into a winter feeding pattern. This might not have any clue with what you did and that deer could show up again next year at the same time.

Biggest thing is, be happy you didnt hit him and not find him. That SUCKS!! Keep your head up, and smoke the next one bud.

rsmith

He will most likely show up again. He only knows something spooked him, but he doesn't know what it was. Like at1010 said, be very happy it was a clean miss. Next opportunity take a little more time and your arrow will find its mark.

Couldn't have said it better. Keep your head up man it happens to everyone! But it is a good thing it was a clean miss instead of a bad shot and than he gets injured and the wound gets infected and he dies off somewhere and you never find him. So next time just take a breath, look at the antlers one time to make sure he is the one you want, take another deep breath and just execute the shot like you would on your bag in your yard. I wish the best of luck to you and I am sure he will be back if he doesn't know that you were their and picked you out in your tree and busted you that way I feel like he will be back soon, maybe 3 or 4 days from my experience. When you do slay him which will hopefully be in the next week make sure to post a bunch of pics! Good luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good advice so far. Old boy is about to have nothing but putang on the mind and his encounters with you will be long since forgotten. Keep after him and it'll all shake out.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
First off, congrats! Some of us hardly ever see a 130 inch deer much less take one without even being serious about bow hunting. Would love to see some pics. Sounds like you are in a good spot to have so many good prospects around... good luck this season.

Second, was the buck that the neighbor shot on opening day taken legally? Do you know the hunter? Are they good people? If so, give them a pat on the back and a big congratulations from me. I know it's frustrating to have someone else shoot a deer you were hoping to see, but it's nothing to get upset about. Especially if it was taken legally by a deserving hunter.

Third, get a scent smoker, and a stick of evercalm. Not saying you won't ever be winded again, but it really does help. You'd be surprised how many deer will come in from down wind.

Last, that deer isn't going anywhere because of a missed shot. All he knows is there was a weird sound, something whizzed by underneath him and hit the ground. He wasn't hit, isn't wounded, has no reason to equate that sound, or that area with pain or danger. Even if he does move on during the rut for some reason, there will be other bucks to shoot at. Possibly even some you never even knew existed.

You asked for my thoughts, there they are.

Once again, good luck and be safe.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Like other have said, he will be back if the rut doesn't get him killed on another property. I've actually hit a decent buck before that came back a few weeks later. Keep your head up and stay after him! Good luck!

Lundy

Biggest deer you have ever seen in your life is a relative term. You are only 21 years old:D You will have plenty more opportunities at that deer or another.

If I miss the biggest deer I have ever seen in my life that would be a problem, but I'm old

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I shot one late in the year last season and he bled for 3 miles in the snow in a giant circle and was back on the trail cam within 48 hours. Haven't seen him in daylight since then but he is still around. Picture in my avatar is the same buck from this year when he still had velvet. I was obsessing over the cameras so I took them down and just decided to have fun and shoot the first decent one I see. Good luck!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Before every hunt I say the same 3 part prayer:
1) Safety for myself and fellow hunters
2) Opportunity
3) Clean hit or a clean miss

Sounds like God favored you.

He'll be back. And look into "Scent Smoking" threads here if you haven't already to learn about beating his nose

jeremy44230

Medina County
Before every hunt I say the same 3 part prayer:
1) Safety for myself and fellow hunters
2) Opportunity
3) Clean hit or a clean miss

Sounds like God favored you.

He'll be back. And look into "Scent Smoking" threads here if you haven't already to learn about beating his nose

That's how I begin each and every hunt myself!!!!

Just stay at it and your hardware and persistence will pay off. Keep your head up bud!