Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best range finder under $200?

Cummingetit

Got a $200 gift card to bass pro from work and looking for a decent range finder. Looking for opinions on angle compensation as well or is it somewhat of a gimmick? Also if I could even find something around $100 it would leave me a little money for binos, which I need as well.

Probably headin to bass pro this weekend, just tryin to do a little homework first.

Thanks in advance!

ETA- will mostly be hunting from a stand

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Really have not a thing bad to say about my Nikon Archer's Choice. With the slight magnification it has I tend to use it more often than my binoculars.

Same here! I've had my archer's choice for 6 or 7 years now and it hasn't let me down. A little above your budget unless the price has came down on them, but they are worth it IMO.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I'm not impressed with the arc thing. we did some side by side testing to see how much difference there was from different raised stands and from hills and there was very little difference. 1 yard was the biggest difference we seen . Most often it was only a half a yard diff.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm not impressed with the arc thing. we did some side by side testing to see how much difference there was from different raised stands and from hills and there was very little difference. 1 yard was the biggest difference we seen . Most often it was only a half a yard diff.
On flat ground when you are 21' up, out past 22 yards there isn't more than a yard difference between straight line yardage and line of sight yardage. You don't really start to notice a gap until you are shooting extreme uphill or downhill shots. ARC was intended more for rifle hunting, and is nearly useless on 90% of the shots you will see with a bow. Unless you are hunting steep hills where you one of sight may be 40y, but the straight line yardage is 20y, you do t necessarily need it.

angelzd28

I like my nikon prostaff, mostly cuz I got it at cabelas for $120 instead of the sticker price of $230. It was stolen then recovered at the guys house along with $10,000 of other merchandise he had stolen. Cabelas didnt recover the box it came in so the guy behind the counter offered me that price! :smiley_bril:

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
quick question. Do you plan on using this range finder for archery purposes only?? Do you plan on using it for long range shooting? 1000+yds. What are your expectations?

Cummingetit

Appreciate all the input guys, sounds like I'll take a good look at the nikons. Worst case I'll have to throw a couple bucks on top of the gift card.

Thanks again!

Cummingetit

Will do. Never really understood the price difference for high $ optics, always had cheaper/lower end bushnell/barska scopes. But anymore the I absolutely see the difference in clarity. I'll be lookin for a decent set of binos next!!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The biggest difference in the lower priced range fingers and the expensive ones is how accurate they are at longer range.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On flat ground when you are 21' up, out past 22 yards there isn't more than a yard difference between straight line yardage and line of sight yardage. You don't really start to notice a gap until you are shooting extreme uphill or downhill shots. ARC was intended more for rifle hunting, and is nearly useless on 90% of the shots you will see with a bow. Unless you are hunting steep hills where you one of sight may be 40y, but the straight line yardage is 20y, you do t necessarily need it.
Thank you. I try to explain this to fellow bowhunters and friends all the time but for some reason no one seems to get it. Ahhh... The power of marketing at its finest.