Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Estrus (Scent Attractant)

Hoytman62

All hunters here in Ohio, I'm in Coshocton and hunters are telling me that the Bucks are in rut. I would think it's still a little early to use Doe in heat or attractant. What do you all see?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Stopped using doe in heat or anything like that a few years back. It always scared all the real does that where in heat away.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Those are probably the same hunters that tagged in a buck on 10\11 as well. I will say that some of the button bucks and fork horns are probably getting a little frisky about now but they always do that and have no clue what it is they are doing. It's like being 13 all over again lmao.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you can't tell, we don't really buy the whole "the rut is in" thing. If you consider the rut a one month process, then you could argue that this weekend is the kickoff. Prime time is still 10-14 days out.

To answer your question, I don't mess with scents for the most part. Try it and form your own conclusion. What doesn't work for one guy, may for the next.

nis1

Rut is not in. Like some of the others said, young bucks always start pushing does early. My vacation is the 7th-16th and I'm thinking those are gonna be prime days. I've been using evercalm from conquest scents and haven't been busted yet with lots of deer downwind. I also have vs1 and dominant buck stuff from conquest and won't start using those until probably next week.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Scents have done absolutely nothing for me except for evercalm. Sex scents are a waste of my money.

Hoytman62

On my previous topic I had some results on hunters not using a scent attractant for whitetail deer. I would like to see who does and why and who doesn't and why. I am a third year bow hunter and am trying to learn more by you who has more experience than me. Thanks for your help!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Over the years I have had more deer spook from using attractants then I have come in because of a attractant. I would personally rather have a deer come through that is not on any alert what so ever than to have one come in all keyed up and on alert already.

The only thing I use on top of my scent smoker is evercalm on the bottom of my boots.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I merged your threads. They are essentially the same topic, so let's keep them together.

I don't use them any more. Never had much luck with them. Just one more thing to spend money on and fool with.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have used it successfully one time. The doe urine was purchased from a deer farmer who bottled his own urine from does. How he knew when peak estrous urine was coming out versus regular doe pee? I have no clue. I had success with that one though. Unfortunately, it worked too well. I was half way up the tree with the estrous urine on a drag rag. I couldn't do anything but freeze as I was climbing the tree mid afternoon preparing for an evening hunt. I froze and watched the buck move on through. It really sucked. I don't use it very often now. Tried several different ones. The deer farmer bottle was the only one that brought a buck in on a string.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I had some success with Tinks 69 a few years ago. Put it on a drag line and then hung near my treestand. I'd also put out 2 or 3 scent bombs 20 -30 yards in front of my stand. I played around with a few other things the last 2 years with no results so I'm going back to Tinks again this year. We'll see what happens. Just remember nothing is guaranteed. You still need to put yourself in the right spot, control your human scent and play the wind whenever possible.

Sch8pt

I have never had any noticeable luck with scents , I like to use it on scrapes when I hang a camera but have had no noticeable response in a hunting situation . I have had some responses to the grunt call and rattle bags , but as far as scent sometimes I wander if its just a money racket??

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I only use it on scrapes.
I like to make a mock scrape close to my stand and just freshen it up on my way in or out.
I only use JVS gel lures and it takes just a small amount on the limbs and scrape.
I have tons of pics of bucks working them and the only stuff I will use on scrapes i have been using them over 26 yrs and have shot some of my bigger bucks checking it out these pics are from last yr and the night pic was last week. uploadfromtaptalk1414329720840.jpguploadfromtaptalk1414329744744.jpguploadfromtaptalk1414329785735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1414329823838.jpg