Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hanging a stand?

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Is it to late to hang a new stand? I have seen some consistent deer activity at a field gate on the property I hunt and the fence line is mostly 8-12ft brush with 1 big tree about 20ft from the gate. I can see this gate from another stand and have seen deer go in/out. So I'm debating on putting a stand in the single tree. My next free time would be Thursday and I would try to do it midday so I'm not disturbing deer movement.. Is it to late in season? And will the deer spoke since I will have a stand in a tree by itself?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Do it midday and/or try to do it before/during a rain. Shower up and wear gloves. I wouldn't trim much brush either. Be smart and pay attention to details and you'll be fine.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I agree with Jesse. My biggest buck to date was taken the night I moved my stand. It was drizzling around noon and I went in to move the stand. I actually saw that buck at about 80 yards before I moved the stand. Just be quite and watch your scent control. Good luck, anything can happen.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just hung a stand today along a freshly mowed gas line during the rain. This is a new farm for me so I'm hoping to catch a good buck, or maybe big willy cruising the gas line looking for does.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I hang stands year round! I run and gun with my LW stands based off deer movement and time of year. NO stand is good year round if your sitting it frequently. Your first sit is usually your best sit when it comes to hang and hunts.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
"Working" in deer country doesn't seem to bother them much. They see it daily between farmers, well tenders and folks cutting fire wood. Hunting them has adverse affects. Do it mid-day like others said and you will be fine.