Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Indiana Rut Hunt

jeremy44230

Medina County
I decided to make the trip to Indiana November 6-9 this season to hopefully hit the rut or some action.

This is my first, of hopefully many, out of state hunts. I've researched the public ground that I plan on hunting. The county also is 3rd in Indiana for Pope and Young bucks taken. Hopefully this homework pays off and I get to see a bit of action.

I will likely be going by myself and will doing all day sits. I'll be taking my Muddy hang on and climbing sticks. I will either stay in a tent or a cheap hotel.

I am open to suggestions or tips from anyone that has them!

I have been fortunate the last 3 seasons to take bucks early in our Ohio season and I told myself if I lucked out this season, I was going to give this a shot.

Sounds like a great trip to give a try!! Since we all know you killed the last buck left in Ohio and the rest have vacated to Indiana that sounds like a good idea!! Good luck to ya! Best thing is to find potential areas and then look over aerials and topo maps for pinch points.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I'm headed to Splinter Ridge FWA. It's located in the southeastern part of the state. You got to sign in each morning for some reason. It's a self service sign in at the parking areas.

They DO allow crossbows. Their DNR site says something about a crossbow permit like its different than a standard permit...

Looks like it'll cost $31 for a 5 day hunting permit and $150 for a deer tag. Not TOO bad for non-res.

Let's go Rick!!!!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Think Indiana charges for each different weapon you use. There some great deer there where we hunted in Georgia there was a board and you put a pin where you were gonna be. In case something happens they kinda know the area.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm headed to Splinter Ridge FWA. It's located in the southeastern part of the state. You got to sign in each morning for some reason. It's a self service sign in at the parking areas.

They DO allow crossbows. Their DNR site says something about a crossbow permit like its different than a standard permit...

Looks like it'll cost $31 for a 5 day hunting permit and $150 for a deer tag. Not TOO bad for non-res.

Let's go Rick!!!!

Still thinking and scheming....not sure yet.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Leaving Wednesday early afternoon. My father in law is going with. He's never killed a deer with a bow. I got to, based on what's starting here lately, my hopes are high to see some action.

I'm trying to keep things in check and NOT get high hopes... Really just hope to locate a good area and see some action! Antlers on the ground will be a tremendous bonus in my mind!

Is it Wednesday yet? 4 full days of hunting has got me drooling. Work will suffer this week for sure!

jeremy44230

Medina County
We arrived tonight just before dark and we were lucky enough to see the land we are hunting. We met a local that will be hunting around the area. He was very kind and let us know the deer have been moving nicely. We informed him as to where we wanted to hunt and that we were slipping in at day break. He was cool with that.

After we pulled out of the parking area, I saw a nice big doe, then a shooter ran across the road!!!

I'm pretty sure these woods are not pressured much.... We will find out this weekend. I also don't believe many of these guys that hunt it are prepared to hike their balls off to get in far. Good thing I am!

jeremy44230

Medina County
Sat all day today. Off and on rain mixed with blustery wind in the afternoon.

I saw total of 4 from the stand. 2 slick heads, 2 small 8's. I passed a 2 1/2 old 8 this morning. I did hear the rumble of some chasing but did not see the deer. I was able to locate, what I am sure, is a great spot. Overlooks a shelf and is below a ridge that is HOT.

My father in law saw 5. He missed a decent buck and saw about a 150 dogging a doe. Great thing is, he spoke with the DNR officer that lives down the lane and hunts the area. Officer said this area we are hunting is loaded with bucks. Many 150+ taken out of these woods.

My hike certainly is a workout. There is about a 250-300 foot elevation change and deep in there. I'll be going back to the same spot tomorrow. I'm confident it will produce something. Here's the views

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415323419.153327.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415323429.572612.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415323437.313258.jpg

Ridge top sign all over.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415323468.319887.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415323476.327379.jpg