Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzeloader

PSE13

Shelby
So I'm looking at getting a new muzzeloader. My other one has been around awhile and its time for a new one. So I have been looking and its between a CVA optima V2 stainless and a Thompson Center Impact Stainless. Anyone have either of these or input on them?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So I'm looking at getting a new muzzeloader. My other one has been around awhile and its time for a new one. So I have been looking and its between a CVA optima V2 stainless and a Thompson Center Impact Stainless. Anyone have either of these or input on them?

I have a SS and camo Accura V2 with the Bergara barrel. Suckers a tack driver shooting 150 gr triple 7 and a 240gr XTP sabot. I got a hell of a deal on I last December from cabelas online.

PSE13

Shelby
Recommendations? Not too up to date on muzzeloaders. I have had mine since I was 8 so like 10 years.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Go smokeless.

Yes go smokeless. I shot my 2nd doe in 2 years today with a smokeless ML. What's great about smokeless is you can see after shooting and no dirty clean up with no worry of rust from black powder. After shooting it last year all I did was run a oiled patch through the bore one time. I shot another doe today and I run one oiled patch through the bore and put it way until next year unless I need it to go after a buck later in the season.
After 45 yrs. of shooting black powder I went smokeless in 2013 and sold all my black powder rifles. Never again.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
You'll need to find a Savage ML-II which is a stock smokeless muzzle loader or you'll need to find someone to do a conversion. See Lundy or MK111.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Yes go smokeless. I shot my 2nd doe in 2 years today with a smokeless ML. What's great about smokeless is you can see after shooting and no dirty clean up with no worry of rust from black powder. After shooting it last year all I did was run a oiled patch through the bore one time. I shot another doe today and I run one oiled patch through the bore and put it way until next year unless I need it to go after a buck later in the season.
After 45 yrs. of shooting black powder I went smokeless in 2013 and sold all my black powder rifles. Never again.

Way to go teammate!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank which smokeless gun you go with?

I had a TC Encore frame already. I bought a TC factory 45-70 barrel and had the chamber area threaded for a Savage smokeless high pressure breach plug.
Since it's a 45 caliber I shoot 40 caliber ML plastic tip 2oo grain bullets with a sabot.
Matter of fact I built the 2nd TC Encore 45-70 rifles the same way so my grandsons can use it if they wish.
Then I shoot a duplex smokeless rifle powder load. A 10.0 grain booster load then a regular powder load on top of it. That way I have full proof firings. Never has failed to fire.
No clean up and when I shot my doe today I seen it drop in it's tracks.

As a warning the conversion must be done by a professional and done right. But nothing to be afraid of.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Frank.... Good info.... How many grain total of powder you using?

60.0 grs. I won't mention what powders. But all loadings are off the established smokeless Savage forum on
dougsmessageboards.com

There is a fine bunch of smokeless ML shooters over there and real dedicated experimenters. All loads are pressure tested. A lot of those guys have way too much time on their hands. Lundy recommended I go there when I started thinking smokeless ML in 2013. Glad I did.

WARNING: only firearms that can shoot muzzleloading smokeless loads have to be smokeless centerfire barrels before the conversion. The steel used in centerfire rifle barrels is much higher grade than what used on muzzleloading barrels and can handle the higher pressure.

Last edited:

Lundy

Smokeless is not for everybody, but if you have some basic understanding and the commitment to using a smokeless MZ there are no production run MZ's that can compare in performance, cost per shot, and ease of cleaning (or lack there of).

You however may not have any need whatsoever for the extra performance you can get from smokeless. Most production run MZ's today are all legitimate 150 yd guns with the right loads. You can go and purchase any mid to top line gun, shoot 90-100 gr of Blackhorn 209 and a good 240-280 gr .45 bullet (NOT Powerbelts) and have an easy to use, simple deer killer.

If you think you need more performance, want to clean less often, want to maximize your loads through some tweaking for optimum performance, have the lowest cost per shot, smokeless may be for you. The initial cost for gun and supplies would be a little higher, you must have a powder scale, but after the initial investment the costs are less than MZ's shooting T7, Pyrodex, Blackhorn, etc.

One last point, contrary to popular opinion smokeless is safer if used in a gun DESIGNED for smokeless powder. Smokeless powder require some compression to ignite. If my bullet moves off of my powder or if I were to ever fail to fully seat my bullet my powder would not ignite. Have that same scenario with T7 or Pyrodex you will most likely have a very bad day.

I certainly don't always need to extra giddyup that I get with my smokless MZ's but it is always there if I need it.

If