Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jerky help

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I recently got a new dehydrator and jerky gun. I am having trouble with the after taste being to irony. This is the first time I've been experimenting with a jerky gun. I used to just hand slice the meat and then marinate it then dehydrate. I don't know what I'm doing wrong now that I'm using a jerky gun. It has good texture and taste good at first then the iron tastes kicks in. Any help would be much appreciated

jeremy44230

Medina County
I use a gun and dehydrator every time. I've never had this issue... Are you buying the seasoning/cure mix? I mix this in to the meat, add some water and mix. It sits for a day, then I shoot it.

I usually go at 155 degrees for about 4.5 to 5 hours.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea I bought some seasoning and cure packets. Mixed in water and the meat and then pushing it through the jerky gun. I didn't let it sit for a day though. Maybe il try that. What brand to you use? I don't know why I'm getting a iron after taste.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I like the Hi Mountain brand. I get it a t Gander Mountain or fin feather fur.

I'd bet the iron taste is due to mixing and shooting without allowing it to cure for a day. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I don't have well water.
And I didn't run the dehydrator for awhile before putting meat in it. I got it out of the box and wiped it down then ran a batch of jerky.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I got a three pack of Gander mountain brand season/cure for a present last week. (Original,spicy,teriyaki) I'll have to try and nicer brand. Says it seasons up to 5lbs of meat per packet.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Letting it sit for a while in the marinade is key IMO. Most packets will say 4-6 hours or so, I let it go 24 hours. Run the dehydrator with some apple slices, clean, marinade and run it again. You should be good.