Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climber height?

Okay gents. I pose a question. I've always hunted out of ladder and hang on stands in the past but, this year I broke down and bought a climber. Now, logic would dictate putting the climber up higher as I like to have a decent vantage point (20-25') but in haste I put the climber into a tree with very little cover behind me and it seems the deer pegged me really quick. Has anyone had any luck with putting their climber in lower in the tree let's say like 8-10' off the ground but with pretty decent side and back cover? As a rule I always place my ladder stands where I'm not getting skylined but, they're all about 17' up with the cover at some spots, I may need to go much lower than Id like. I feel like if I'm that low on the tree, they'll be looking right at me. Idk. Let me know if you guys have ever had luck with it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In 2000 I shot the largest buck in my life with a ladder stand at 8'. All my ladder stands now are 17' and my 2 hunting towers are 12'.
That 2000 buck turned to walk away 4 times and each time I turned him back with a soft grunt. Shot him at 25 yds.
By the way I shot a lot of deer out of the 8 ft. stand over the years.

buckstar25

T-county
I used to climb blow downs that were only 10' off the ground. I always used the cover (tree top) to break my outline up.

I feel that deer are more likely to spook if they pick you off in a tree as opposed to on the ground. Just my opinion, so I climb 30-40'. My property is all hill so its very easy for deer to be above me, even at 25'....my highest stand is 42'

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I used to climb blow downs that were only 10' off the ground. I always used the cover (tree top) to break my outline up.

I feel that deer are more likely to spook if they pick you off in a tree as opposed to on the ground. Just my opinion, so I climb 30-40'. My property is all hill so its very easy for deer to be above me, even at 25'....my highest stand is 42'

I'd be wearing 2 safety harnesses at 42' LOL.

A climber needs a straight trunk tree to get up in so automatically the cover around you will be limited. Depending on terrain and where I end up setting up I may end up at 20 ft up to 30 ft. I have a 30 ft. pull up rope that I use for my bow and it gets tied to my seat portion of the climber. Once the bow slightly lifts I figure I am just over 20 ft. and gauge it from there. One thing you will learn with a climber is that no matter how high, it can stick out like a sore thumb. Eliminate anything black from it as that plus your body up there will draw attention. When you have deer come in stand right up against the tree to help break up your outline as the whole 'blob' on the side of the tree will surely cause them to check you out. Consider more open patterns of camo, at least a different top than bottom too, of something like Predator or Vertigo style camo.

buckstar25

T-county
I can climb most any tree, right now I am in a double trunked white oak about 22'. Love the double trunked trees, conceals stand better and more options when it comes to gear.

whack

Ditto. I like to be as high as possible but let the cover dictate where I set up

Exactly. Don't have to be sky high. Shot this guy at about 14' up and he was 7 yards away. We were close lol he had no clue I was there ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413151518.842110.jpg

Cephas50

Agree with most of the comments here. As with any setup, location is key. If you can find a good climbing tree, with favorable wind, climb to what ever height will minimize visibility and be smart about your angle on the tree. Hopefully you'll be golden. I like the climber because it gives me the flexibility to adjust my setup based on conditions. I can vary my height and location based on the day. As long as you've scouted out good trees for climbing you can let circumstances dictate the rest. I've climbed anywhere from 10'-40'.