Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pull on boot work boot question .....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've always wanted a pair of pull on work boots. My hunting boots are pull on's, but with a work boot, for the ones I've tried on, my heel always rises up. I have a narrow foot as it is & the only sizes are mediums or wide. Maybe it's just not in the cards for me. I do have one more pair enroute that I'm going to try, but I wonder if any of you guys run into this problem & what you do about it if you decide to keep them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a pair of Ariat steel toes that I love. Most comfortable pair of boots I have believe it or not. I'll have them with me at Strouds so you can check them out.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I found in Justin's and red wings I buy a half size smaller. They are a little tight at first but they break in to where the don't slip. The only thing is my ankles are a little weak and twist easy. I do a lot of dirt work and uneven ground and my ankles don't do good in them as workboots. Just food for thought for you.

I had these pair of engineer boots they held up for 3 years.
http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/original/engineer/1901M52

I switched to a lace up boot also made by chippewa. Model 20085. Reasonably priced US made boots are hard come buy. I have had that of lacers pair for almost two years. Even with almost daily wear they still are in great shape.
It think danner chippewa and some redwings are the only production companies still making boots here. Then there are the custom boot makers like wesco footwear and whites boots.

If you do get a full grain leather boot remember to put some kind of leather preserve cream like obenauf's lp. If you do that they will last a long time. Boot care like a lot of things is becoming a forgotten skill. Do not use mink oil.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0020LQO1Q/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-3962099-9097549

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Why not mink oil Tom? I've used it for years with great luck. My Double H boots I wear in the office are 4 years old and still look new.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. When I said work boot, I may have over exaggerated a bit. They're mainly for normal wear around the yard & such. I just hate to lace up all the time anymore. I have a pair of Georgia's coming next week & I was wanting something in a 11" Wellington. It's that heel that may raise up that I'm fearful about.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have a pair of red wing Pecos pull ons and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, they have a composite toe and a metaguard. I mainly wear them for casual because I wear red wing 6" lace up steel toes for work.

Diablo54

Outside
I'm like a woman. I have 5 pair for work. Redwing seems to be the best I've tried and I'll put Justin's at a close second.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I am also a fan of the red wing pecos. Mine do not have the composite toe though.

Ricer2231

I wear Wolverine Dura Shox in a Wellington style and love em. One of the few boots I can wear that keep my back from hurting because I work on concrete floors all day.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
http://www.rockyboots.com/long-range-western-collection/

If you are wanting to try a pair of Rockys PM me. I have a 50% off code, Ill hook ya up with.

These are great pull ons, I have several pairs. I live in TX and only wear pull ons. I have 10+ pairs. Ariat and the others are good boots. Normally with a pull on you do want a small amount of slip but if you buy them too big youll be very uncomfortable. I wear an 11d in every shoe I wear. As someone said sometime they feel tight at first but the leather will break in.

Also for Jesse and others I have found the best treatment for boots just put some good saddle soap on them. Damp them with a rage, little water/saddle soap, make the boots look like new.

thanks,

Albert

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am also a fan of the red wing pecos. Mine do not have the composite toe though.

dont get caught up with composite toe vs. steel. Honestly doesnt make difference in weight at all. Mostly a sales gimmick or whatever is cheaper at that time for the manufactures. Steel might conduct cold a bit more but thats about it, minimal difference.

Just FYI.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Doesn't everyone in Tx wear pull ons ?? lol j/k

well yes. I also sell boots for a living so I tend to have/come across a few pairs.

That is why I am offering you a code off Rocky's if you are willing to give them a try. Also Georgia and Rocky should fit the same, they are owned by the same company. Many folks dont know that. I have a pair of Georgia Farm/Ranch, I love them!