Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio on TV Regularly

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Hey fellas, hope your all doing well and seeing some deer in the woods.

I was wondering what you guys thought of more and more each year seeing non-residents coming to Ohio and hunting deer..

I just watched 3 hunting programs that guys are hunting Ohio.

I think Ohio needs to change this $100 BS license for non residents..

what's your thoughts?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Would be nice to have more NR money on tags however, I don't see it making up much of a difference in the bottom of the bucket.

I don't care what state they come from or what they want to hunt. I don't own any of it so I can't tell people what they can and can't do here. If they pay to play the game then do things legally then it's all good to me.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
well since I am a non res now....please dont raise it! hahah

I would be happy to pay couple hundred extra if it helped the state, and helped to keep some bad hunters out. Not sure if raising it will hurt or help.

BTW I saw that most recent show, said they were hunting western Ohio, looked up outfitter, and it is located in Hocking County?? Very confusing!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
The more ohip hunting is on tv the more people will come. It's just advertising. If they are paying to hunt at outfitters it doesn't bug me. But if they are hunting public or leasing farms it sucks because it's gonna be that much harder for local hunters to get on deer or get on a good buck.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
well since I am a non res now....please dont raise it! hahah

I would be happy to pay couple hundred extra if it helped the state, and helped to keep some bad hunters out. Not sure if raising it will hurt or help.

BTW I saw that most recent show, said they were hunting western Ohio, looked up outfitter, and it is located in Hocking County?? Very confusing!

Were u watching addicted too the outdoors? If so, I watched that last night.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It's changing the way I'm going to be approaching my hunting from now on. Shits about to get real in ohio. I know I have been in denial about it for some time but no more.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've said for years we need to raise out NR license and tag fees. Its a slap in the face to residents that NR hunters pay the same for a tag as we do. Its also a slap in the face to our resources to value then at the same rate as WV in regards to license cost. We severely undervalue our main wildlife resource (deer) and that has always irked me. I'd even be willing to pay more as a resident if it meant the money went to habitat acquisition and other funding efforts that would benefit sportsmen across the state.

Here is what I think is fair: NR License = $250. NR Tag $50. Second Tag = $25 and no more than 2 tags can be issued total.

Ohio is one of the hottest destinations in the country. Price it accordingly. Sure some people will bitch and moan and never come back. It was nice knowing you! IMO, the increased revenue would make up for the people that wouldn't return. I have a good friend that hunts our farm who is a WV resident. He comes here solely for the big bucks. I've ran these numbers by him and he says they are fair and he'd be happy to pay them. Look at states like Iowa, Kansas, Illinois and tell me those numbers are out of line...

It's going to happen sooner than later. Right now it's $149 for the hunting license and (1) either sex tag. For me it's worth every penny as I get to come down and hunt our land as well as spend some good time with my dad. Kids are starting to appreciate it as well so as they get older that will likely be an impact. Problem is....if Ohio didn't have a booner behind every tree no one would know about it LOL!! Need to learn how to hide those deerz!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I know my hunting access has pinched down from over a thousand acres to right around 200 or so. Everything I have lost access to has been from out of staters leasing the property. Now, I have no issues with leasing, but Ohio definitely doesn't value its herd. $150 is a slap in the face.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I know my hunting access has pinched down from over a thousand acres to right around 200 or so. Everything I have lost access to has been from out of staters leasing the property. Now, I have no issues with leasing, but Ohio definitely doesn't value its herd. $150 is a slap in the face.

I agree greg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I disagree with all of you that think we are on par with Iowa and other great whitetail states. The difference is in the number of people, we are overloaded with 'em. The hunting experience in Ohio is not like it would be in Iowa. You are likely to see more people while hunting Ohio than you will deer, not the case elsewhere, and to me that is worth a heck of a lot more! It's like fishing a private farm pond or fishing the public pond in the middle of city park...which is worth more? Sure, you can catch a 5lber out of both, but it's a lot easier to catch when you aren't tangling lines with 10 others. That's the real value to other states, IMO.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
From an economic standpoint Ohio has a highly valued product (trophy deer), with a high demand (# of hunters), and below market price (NR lic cost).

Basically we're selling ourselves short and leaving money on the table. Which is dumb.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It isn't dumb if you think (as I do) that hunting should not cost a small fortune to participate, regardless of where you reside.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I know Brock, I wish it didn't cost a small fortune too. But Ohio is selling it's resource (the resident's resource) short of what a fair market price should be. That resource should be, at the very least, sold at the same price as similar states with similar resources.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
High quality hunting should be priced correctly. Ohio is under priced that's the reason for the high numbers of NR hunting Ohio. Raising the NR fees will only keep a small number of NR hunters away but the lose of tag income will be made up several times over by the higher fees. IMHO
Plus with higher NR fees there would be less hunters overall but the State doesn't want a lower number of hunters as they still think there are a large number of deer to kill off yet.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The non-residents that cause this sort of thinking (those that show up to lease ground) are not going to stop coming because of a couple hundred dollar increase. I have friends that now live in TN. Grew up here. Still come here to hunt with family, but are raising families on a budget. Those are the type that will be affected by an increase - they won't be back. No one gains anything by them not coming, they will just break a family tradition. And to me, that's the heart and soul of hunting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The non-residents that cause this sort of thinking (those that show up to lease ground) are not going to stop coming because of a couple hundred dollar increase. I have friends that now live in TN. Grew up here. Still come here to hunt with family, but are raising families on a budget. Those are the type that will be affected by an increase - they won't be back. No one gains anything by them not coming, they will just break a family tradition. And to me, that's the heart and soul of hunting.

Brock that's true. But I still feel the home town boys coming back to hunt Ohio is a very small % of the NR hunters coming to Ohio.