Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

45-70?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Just curious, not sure how serious I am about it but if one was to hunt deer with a straight walled cartridge rifle. What are some y'all would suggest?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am thinking of building a 450 Bushmaster upper.

Don't believe it's listed.

45-70 is a great one and I'll use it if need be. 44Mag. and 45LC would be good ones also. The 357 Mag. is too weak and small IMHO.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Hornaday Lever Revolution!

kpc_2384.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
guys I am sorry but I literally dont know shit about this topic.

Any good articles I can read just about overall advantages, disadvantages, etc.

Or can someone give me some input. I have read a bit and seems like it has a lot to do with the load you shoot?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It is hard to beat the 12 gauge slug with today's barrels and ammo.

The PCR's are just another route to get there.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My buddy bought a 45-70 Henry.... Nice shooting gun but unless you buy the dyes that is one expensive round.....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
So what would a benefit be of these rifles?

1. stopping power?
2. recoil?
3. etc?

I hate shooting my slug gun, it kicks like a mule, and just never feel over confident with it. I wouldnt mind have a single barrel TC or something that I know is signted on, and if/when I gun hunt I can grab that trusty rifle. I rarely, rarely gun hunt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Recoil is equal too a 20 gauge.... Good groups at 150 yards and plenty of knock down power.... And the best part you can add another weapon too the arsenal lol.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I looked at one this weekend. Marlin lever action 45-70. Pretty gun. At $900 asking price, it didn't impress me that much. I would simply go with a smokeless muzzle loader or another round.

What do I know? 45-70 is enough to kill pretty much any game on the planet. Pistol cartridges in rifles are "cool" and probably "fun". Accuracy should be better than shooting same round out of a pistol. Ballistics, KE, and accuracy probably won't be much better (and possibly lesser) than modern muzzle loaders and shot guns. Just because it is a rifle, doesn't mean you will have the advantages of other rifle rounds (270, 30-06, etc) available but not legal in Ohio.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I looked at one this weekend. Marlin lever action 45-70. Pretty gun. At $900 asking price, it didn't impress me that much. I would simply go with a smokeless muzzle loader or another round.

What do I know? 45-70 is enough to kill pretty much any game on the planet. Pistol cartridges in rifles are "cool" and probably "fun". Accuracy should be better than shooting same round out of a pistol. Ballistics, KE, and accuracy probably won't be much better (and possibly lesser) than modern muzzle loaders and shot guns. Just because it is a rifle, doesn't mean you will have the advantages of other rifle rounds (270, 30-06, etc) available but not legal in Ohio.

it would be faster to reload than a muzzy tho! HMM I might just get one to get one! hahhahahhah ughh being single isnt too bad!

I have a marlin 45-70 gbl. I bought mine for 575 bucks. Its pretty darn accurate. It recoils like a 12 ga slug gun but with more of a shove than the thump type recoil a shotgun has. It will anchor pretty much anything walks in the world with the right load to the ground pretty quick. Its pretty loud too. You'd be hard pressed to not find a marlin 45-70 in the gun safes of most hunters in the pacific northwest. You can read about mine here.
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?16375-The-PCR-Project

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Some of my buddies are shooting the 444 Marlin. It's a lever action, and nice and compact for toting in the woods. They are shooting 2" groups out to 150 yards with good consistency.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I bought a H&R single shot 45-70, Not a expensive rifle and it shoots just fine. No reason it would take more than one round to put a deer down!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I bought a H&R single shot 45-70, Not a expensive rifle and it shoots just fine. No reason it would take more than one round to put a deer down!

The H&R single shot is a fine rifle. But some may have a heavy trigger pull but rather easy solved. I sold a early H&R single shot in 45-70 from the 1970's that had a ram rod under the barrel. The guys with the Amish guy who bought it said now you can use it during ML season and no one will know. What ever. I didn't need it as I have a nice Marlin 45-70 and a Ruger auto in 44 Mag.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
To me it would be nice to have a gun JUST FOR DEER and since these are legal now, and something new. Seems like a cool idea.

What type of Ammo do you shoot out of them for deer? Grain? Etc?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
To me it would be nice to have a gun JUST FOR DEER and since these are legal now, and something new. Seems like a cool idea.

What type of Ammo do you shoot out of them for deer? Grain? Etc?

I'm a old fashion lead bullet shooter myself. I cast my own and a large hole through the vitals will take down a deer just fine. I'm in the old school of bigger and heavy is better.
I've taken 22 deer with 44 mag and 1 with a 45LC all lead bullets. I recovered all 23 deer and only lost one buck when it went onto the neighbors property and he wouldn't let us follow it. I later learned he found and eat the deer so no real lose.
I'll either cast up some 405 gr. flat nose bullets for the 45-70 or use my Ruger auto 44 mag with 310 gr. flat nose cast bullets. When I started hunting pistol deer hunting the 1st yr. Ohio permitted it there wasn't any reliable HP jacketed pistol bullets. But that was over 25 yrs. ago and pistols bullets have come a long way but I see no reason to change something that isn't broke.

As a matter of fact the 44 mag 310 gr. Lee Precision lead bullet was designed by myself and my shooting buddy Dale when I took a 3 week hunting trip to Alaska. I was in brown bear country and wanted a heavy flat hose bullet to carry. I slepted with a loaded Ruger 5" laying beside me for 3 weeks.
I also designed a heavy 45LC mold but got ill and Lee later produced it and still does. I also designed a 357 Mag. 180 gr. flat nose bullet that looks a identical to the 44 mag bullet. But I only got one mold and never put it into production. Lee Precision missed the boat and doesn't see the benefit of heavy cast bullets.

Like I said heavy and bigger is better with a wide flat nose for extreme hitting power. Faster and lighter isn't in my way of thinking. I want a large hole in and a large hole out. The silly thinking of a bullet stopping inside the deer to expand all the bullet energy is just silly. I look at this way if the bullet stopped there is no energy. So where the thought came from is beyond me. IMHO

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have a marlin 45-70 gbl. I bought mine for 575 bucks. Its pretty darn accurate. It recoils like a 12 ga slug gun but with more of a shove than the thump type recoil a shotgun has. It will anchor pretty much anything walks in the world with the right load to the ground pretty quick. Its pretty loud too. You'd be hard pressed to not find a marlin 45-70 in the gun safes of most hunters in the pacific northwest. You can read about mine here.
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?16375-The-PCR-Project

great looking gun! do you have a scope on it?