Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Razorbacks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thinking about doing a DIY hog hunt somewhere south this winter. I haven't starred looking around yet for areas or the logistics of it. I figure I need to start with the hogs themselves. Really I'm looking for the Russian boars, not so much the feral European pigs common in Florida and Texas. Thinking maybe Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, or the Carolina's. Looking for big public lands with a decent population. The plan is to hike in and spot and stalk with the 30-06. Camping in the bush isn't out if the question If the public land is big enough and allows it. I figure if I start doing my homework I can shoot for late November or December. I want to cut the curve a little bit and was wondering what you guys know or have read about it. If anyone else is interested in going let me know and maybe we can get a get something together.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My neighbor is from Georgia and has family that hunts hogs. I believe they own land. I'll ask him to ask his family what they know.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Got a buddy of mine that lives in northern Alabama and also hunts southern Tennessee. Mostly hunt deer but I will touch base with him and see what I can find out for you

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My vote would be Georgia. I was reading online and it seems like you can't hunt hogs on public ground on Tenn anymore.

No joke. I just went and looked at Tennessee apparently you can only kill them as an incidental to a big game hunt. Meaning you would have to purchase a deer permit and abide by the weapons limitation of the season. On private land the land owner has to apply for permits and list by name the hunters similar to how we do crop damage permits for deer. After further reading the state said that it was because after declaring open season on them a lot of people brought them in and released them in order to create hunting opportunities. So the restrictions and permits are efforts to reduce monetization of pig hunting and hopefully curb the people letting them loose. Furthermore apparently you cannot camp anywhere on public land except in designated areas and "The possession of saws, machetes, axes, or other tools for cutting vegetation is prohibited." Nuckin futs they are. Lol. The search continues.