Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Farm

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Picked up a brand new farm, I have ZERO history with this area/county and ZERO history with this farm. I got the farm to duck hunt honestly. River runs through it, corn on 50% of it, and two quarries across the street. Well, I decided to deer hunt it and I feel like I'm not in OH at all. The land owner said he's never given permission and the deer def act that way. They don't walk around looking UP like most places I hunt. I decided to hang a camera and make a mock scrape after seeing 7 different bucks including one shooter in 3 sits. I passed a real nice P&Y 3 yr old 6x4, several REAL nice 2 yr olds, and there's more rubs than anywhere I've ever hunted. I hung this cam on the evening of the 30th over a mock scrape and hunted this morning, so it's had 4 days to sit. It had 280 pics and its not even on a major travel route. I've seen a lot of deer skirt where this camera is but I don't want to get to intrusive yet. I had a real nice deer beat me to the stand this morning but I was running late and got there after shooting hours and he was there right at shooting time. Hoping to get something patterned and killed my mid/late Oct so I can travel and duck hunt!

Here's a nice 3 yr old 10 pt that comes in almost every day:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a great farm to hunt! Congrats on the pick up! How did you do it Zack? Just ask or this farmer know you or some other factor? Access to prime land is almost unheard of these days!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Sounds like a great farm to hunt! Congrats on the pick up! How did you do it Zack? Just ask or this farmer know you or some other factor? Access to prime land is almost unheard of these days!

I deer/duck hunt his land close to my house and while I was over hanging cameras a couple weeks ago he mentions he has 450 acres an hour south of there. I simply asked if he lets people hunt it and he said he's never written a slip bc most people wont drive up to meet him in person since he lives 1.5 hrs from the property. Basically bc he's not a local no ever contacts him about it. Just dumb luck I guess. He also told me the river was a high wall and it would be impossible to hunt but I could hunt the fields. Well its highwall for 10 miles north but his property sits on a high angle curve and is flat even with the river. Its like my own little gold mine!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Still producing.... must be a travel corridor. Deer show up one day and then I never see them again. Always something new and nothing ever returns. Had two other good bucks on cam but I deleted the pics bc they were behind trees and behind brush where I couldn't tell exactly what they were. Unless its a good clear pic I delete them.... Here's two from the last pull.