Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of tree stand do you guys use?

PSE13

Shelby
Do you guys use a hang on, climber latter? I have a hang on and two latter stands. I want too get a climber bit was wondering are they more hassle then good? Are they a pain in the butt?

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I hunt probably 75% of the time out of my Summit Open Shot climber. It is super light and I can carry it in a long ways without any trouble.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have one of everything. And multiples of most. Climbers have their uses and are worth owning. I prefer my Millennium and Lone Wolf sticks after using my climbed tonight, but a few mods to the climber will fix my main bitch about it. I am mainly using sections of sticks I prehang and my Millennium at this point. I prefer this to anything else.

PSE13

Shelby
I want too get a climber but wanted too make sure that it would be worth it. I have a property that would be great for a climber as it is alot of deer infested swamp/wooded area. I haven't paid much attention to it because its alot of ground . Do. You take your climber in with you too or leave it there?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I'm a Lone Wolf guy 90% of the time! My year round stands on my property are Millenniums. I like to run and gun with my LW, but I will be ordering some XOP's very soon!

I want too get a climber but wanted too make sure that it would be worth it. I have a property that would be great for a climber as it is alot of deer infested swamp/wooded area. I haven't paid much attention to it because its alot of ground . Do. You take your climber in with you too or leave it there?

If I'm hunting a spot in the evening and it's on fire and I plan on being in it first thing in the morning I will leave it. If I don't plan on being back in the morning I'll take it with me.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Is there any brand that you would stay away from as far as climbing stands go?

My 2 cents would be to pay a lil more and get a lightweight climber. You can find heavy ones cheap. If you go cheap you will regret it. I learned that the hard way.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Get the lightest climber you can afford if a climber is what you are after. I have a climber, a ladder stand, and hang ons. My climber is probably ten years old maybe older and it is heavy so I barely ever use it any more. I need to buy a new one. I like using the climber when I can. They are limited though because you need good trees to climb. A good light hang on and sticks are much more versatile you can get up just about any tree. That is why I havent bought a new climber. Might as well just buy another hang on and sticks. Just my opinion though.

PSE13

Shelby
I want too get another hang on as well. You can never have too many stands! I would like a climber for multiple places. I was looking at a big game treestand climber

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I use a Lone wolf climber alot . The sit and climb model . I even prefer it to my Lone wolf alpha and LW sticks .

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I have a lot of cheap sticks and stands all over the place. There not very comfy, but they work. As for a climber, I use an summit open shot and love it. I want something light and with out a shooting rail.
When it comes to climbers, spend the money, don't go cheap.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I have a Millennium that is the cats azz. If I had more property that I could hang sets in I would buy more Millenniums. I have 2 API climbers and most of my hunting is done from these.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have 2 Big Game ladder stands that are set up on my in-laws land. Ladders aren't very portable but they are nice to set up in places you hunt a lot. Once set up I can get in and out of them pretty quickly and quietly. My favorite stand to use is my Summit Goliath Climber. It's comfortable, lightweight and very portable. I actually bought a second one this year. The total weight of the stand is around 20 lbs but if you wear it correctly on your back it feels lighter than that. Climbers are what I use when I hunt public land in Ohio.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Summit Climber - used rarely, actually used it once this year and none last few.

Muddy Outfitter hang-on with Muddy sticks. Run and gun setup.

Bunch of cheap $30-$35 hang-on's from Dicks or wherever they are on sale.

No ladder stands yet. Probably will grab one soon as my brother I getting into hunting and I want him to feel comfortable in a tree. The hang on's are a bit small.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have four ladders, a hang on with stix and two Summit climbers. Love the ease of ladder stands. I have the Summit Viper and Titan. The Titan is larger.