Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rash from a caterpillar?

teej89

NE PA
I was checking a cam yesterday and sitting at the base of a tree when I felt something hit my neck. I swatted it off and saw it was a caterpillar, white body w/ some green and black marks on it and it was fairly hairy. I noticed my neck started burning and it was a needle like sensation kinda like when you just get your hair cut and they're pricking the back of your neck but much worse. Anywho... I showered when I got back, it still bothered me. Then today I woke up with a rash that's a bunch of little red bumps on the back of my neck and it still burns to touch.

Anyone ever have this happen?

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
That's happened to me a few times. I hate it when they fall down the back your shirt.

Two years ago I had one caterpillar actually sting me. It hurt and swelled up pretty good. I looked it up and it was actually Venomous.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
yep had it happen to me and the dang thing bit me.. i got sick as a dog and puked a couple of times..

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
That sounds exactly like tarantula's hairs. I had five of them and their hairs were very irritating. They could actually flick them when scared.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Hickory Tussock moth caterpillar.
image.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's what got me last time. A Saddleback caterpillar.
Sucker stung me pretty good and hurt for a few days.

Attachments

• Saddleback.jpg
    Saddleback.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 65

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
BOOM! That's it! That lil sob... my neck hurts so bad every time my collar brushes up against it.

probably rolled over as you wiped it off and got some hairs stuck in there. Get some good ol Elmer's glue and spread on that area and let it dry. Peel it off. Could also try some cellophane wax

teej89

NE PA
probably rolled over as you wiped it off and got some hairs stuck in there. Get some good ol Elmer's glue and spread on that area and let it dry. Peel it off. Could also try some cellophane wax

awesome thanks man! It definitely rolled around up there as I tried to wipe it off.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Wow, never seen too many like those. We have one hairy yellow one out here and yea, I'm always fearful of it, so I always flick them away. Don't know anything about them, but def wouldn't want it falling down my shirt....