Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Look closely

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

Anything catch your eyes?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang. Lol. Really gotta bust up that outline with some open camo like predator or mossy oak treestand. That's why I quit using regular old mossy oak here in ohio. Way too dark. I really love the bluish hue and open pattern of MO treestand.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang. Lol. Really gotta bust up that outline with some open camo like predator or mossy oak treestand. That's why I quit using regular old mossy oak here in ohio. Way too dark. I really love the bluish hue and open pattern of MO treestand.
Said for years MO was way too dark for Ohio. Can definitely pick up the ugliness in that stand! lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We can see it, but what does the deer actually see. Did the deer react negatively or just go about his business? That is the real issue.

Deer see in a gray scale about like the picture portrays. It's pretty safe to say the deer sees it pretty close to how we're seeing the picture.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Deer see in a gray scale about like the picture portrays. It's pretty safe to say the deer sees it pretty close to how we're seeing the picture.

But if the dark object in question doesn't move will it really stick out in the deer's mind as a incorrect danger?
Our safety orange during gun season I believe shows up to a deer as a bright white color. And if the safety orange object doesn't move I've never seen any deer reaction to the out of place bright object. IMHO

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
But if the dark object in question doesn't move will it really stick out in the deer's mind as a incorrect danger?
Our safety orange during gun season I believe shows up to a deer as a bright white color. And if the safety orange object doesn't move I've never seen any deer reaction to the out of place bright object. IMHO

Similar to turkeys but not as bad. Just don't move. But that doesn't mean a deer won't pick you out like a queer at a gunshow. And we all know what they do when that happens. The does and young bucks stand there, head bob, foot stomp and might blow out or wonder off. In my experience though mature bucks don't play that game. If somethings not right they don't question it or try to figure it out. They just slip out of there ASAP.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I really like the Natural Gear pattern. I have a rain set and bibs/parka in this pattern.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Years ago after reading an article (pre-computer...)(NO. not on a stone tablet... magazine.) I hung all my camo on hangers in the woods and shot pictures w/ black/white film to see how it blended in at some different distances and foliage's.
Frankly, my old red and black plad wool jacket did better at blending in than half my camo.

Most any digital camera today would have a setting for b/w type photos or stripping out color after the fact on your computer.

The best camo in the world won't do you a lick of justice if you are getting skylined. Sitting in a 6" to 8" tree with no cover to blend with seems to be the problem from what I see here.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
2013-12-02_08-30-58_497.jpg 2013-12-02_08-32-35_955.jpg

Although not a pretty sight, it does help to somewhat illustrate color/black white a deer would see.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
We can see it, but what does the deer actually see. Did the deer react negatively or just go about his business? That is the real issue.

That spike did not see Jason. It never stopped and looked around fro what he said but if he would of I'm betting it would of. I got busted in that same ditch by a doe last season. I didn't even know she was 15 yards from me till I looked that way and looked down and she was looking right at me. I'm considering getting some camo netting for this stand...

That spike did not see Jason. It never stopped and looked around fro what he said but if he would of I'm betting it would of. I got busted in that same ditch by a doe last season. I didn't even know she was 15 yards from me till I looked that way and looked down and she was looking right at me. I'm considering getting some camo netting for this stand...

Good idea.