Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Asking permission tips

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Probably with in the next week I am planing on asking the 2 neighboring property owners of the farm I currently hunt to expand my acreage from 150 to 400acres to hunt. It will give me access to a pond and a creek and some tickets where I believe the deer are bedding. I found the addresses, so what are some tips on how to ask? Strait to the point? Or ease into the question? I plan on dressing nice. I've never had to do a blind knock on someone's door.
Thanks

Big Weff

Athens
Diablo and I do a lot of door to door knocking when we shed hunt. I know there's a big difference in asking to shed hunt compared to hunting but I always find that it helps to either have a common acquaintance or to just notice something that they have out in the yard weather it be old cars or old sheds. Anything that shows a common interest and work that into the conversation. Loosens them up a little bit. AND ALWAYS SHAKE THERE HAND! Haha

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Zach makes a great point about common ground. Most of my job revolves around forming relationships with strangers. I'm lucky to work in rural America where my knowledge of tractors, livestock, hunting, etc. creates a lot of easy going, causal conversation. Goes a long ways towards making people comfortable with you.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Probably with in the next week I am planing on asking the 2 neighboring property owners of the farm I currently hunt to expand my acreage from 150 to 400acres to hunt. It will give me access to a pond and a creek and some tickets where I believe the deer are bedding. I found the addresses, so what are some tips on how to ask? Strait to the point? Or ease into the question? I plan on dressing nice. I've never had to do a blind knock on someone's door.
Thanks

1. wear a shirt with sleeves
2. take your kid and wife with ya
3. have the people who own the farm where ya hunt now put a good word in for ya
4. if the above fails - go back in a week or so with coonskinner

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Thanks for the help. I ended up making up a pamphlet type thing. I think it will help show I'm a respectful person and make me look more creditable. I planed on dressing nice and I mite bring my 2.5 year old son. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.

rsmith

Thanks for the help. I ended up making up a pamphlet type thing. I think it will help show I'm a respectful person and make me look more creditable. I planed on dressing nice and I mite bring my 2.5 year old son. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.
I used the pamphlet idea and it worked very well along with dressing nice in a nice pair of jeans, my good boots, and a nice shirt, and a good polite and interested attitide in whatever he wanted to talk about. The pamphlet just looks way more professional and shows you took time and effort to put this together and makes him feel more like you aren't just some random Elmer Fudd hunter. If he leans toward something that he may like strike a conversation going on it. Like I got stuck talking about bird houses with one of my future hunting spots wife for about bird houses and different types of them and all kinds of stuff. I have a little interest in them but hey if that's what makes me come closer to a prime spot than let's get talking about bird houses. A person always feels more welcome around someone of similar interest. Best of luck to you and bringing your kid is going to be real bonus points. Hope it works out for you!

Last edited: